Author Topic: Richard Hammond, a bass player?  (Read 5313 times)

Blazer

Richard Hammond, a bass player?
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »

I guess we all know Hammond as the presenter of "Brainiac" and as the least tall of the trio of presenters who give us the joy that is "Top Gear"

But apparently he's no slough on the four string either... When in 2007 the gang were asked to do something for "Comic relief" they decided to merge "Top Gear" and "Top of the pops" together resulting in "Top Gear of the pops". They had their car stuff and performances by Teenie Bopper band Mc Fly (who were absolutely torn to shreds by James May in the interview prior to their performance) and Supergrass who had Comic legend Ade Edmonson (Vivyan from "the Young ones") as a guest guitarist. And as a special treat Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond played a song themselves with vocal aid provided by Darkness lead singer Justin Hawkins.

Unfortunately, the one footage I found of that performance is rather poor in quality.

Here's the full thing
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:18:12 AM by Blazer »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Hammond, a bass player?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »

I guess we all know Hammond as the presenter of "Brainiac" and as the least tall of the trio of presenters who give us the joy that is "Top Gear"

Big assumption there. I've never heard of him or of Top Gear or Brainiac (TV shows?).

If I haven't heard of him, he can't be famous.  8)

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
Big assumption there. I've never heard of him or of Top Gear or Brainiac (TV shows?).

If I haven't heard of him, he can't be famous.  8)
Type his name into Google and see what you'll find then, there must be something there that you saw on tele.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
Still doesn't ring a bell. I think I've probably seen a YouTube clip from Top Gear before but it's nothing that's carried in my area.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
It's a typical British show, so not well known in the US.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
Never heard ovvim.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
Dave re "Top-Gear" -  it's a "Petrol-Head" sort of thing - new cars, fast cars, stars in cars, wrecking cars, etc, etc, etc... - very juvenile but even my wife enjoys it - not many episodes a year but all three of the presenters are popular and have spin-off programmes...
A couple of years back Richard the "Hamster" Hammond (Hamster...? he's dimunitive) nearly died taking a jet engine supercar up to speed (+300mph) on a runway when a tire blew out - hospitalised for some time - everyone thought he was dead for sure...

Here is his comeback on the show with footage of the crash - Top Gear is CULT viewing here and Jeremy Clarkson is a brilliantly caustic wit...

The programme is one of the few things I go out of my way to view, sad as that may be...

Ps I'm DEFINITELY NOT a Petrol-Head...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...