Author Topic: What bass is this?  (Read 2814 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
What bass is this?
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »
What bass is this?

Digresion our specialty!

MikeyB5

• View Profile
Re: What bass is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's an Ovation.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »
Definately an Ovation Magnum. A very nice bass with some very nice features. My uncle has one. There were two versions of this bass and also two types of each version and I believe there are some owners here at the Outpost.

Couple of months ago I wrote an article about those basses.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:06:06 AM »
That one in the clip is the Magum II - it had the active graphic eq setup.  I think Uwe one of these(?)

I have the Magnum I.  It was the passive version, with conventional vol/tone/vol/tone arrangement and stereo output:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:19:44 AM by chromium »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:18:27 AM »
Wow, what a very interesting bass. Nice slab of mahogany. Is the neck pup anything at all like a Mudbucker? The single coil at the bridge looks pretty heavy duty as well. The bridge design looks amazing.
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:28:27 AM »
Yeah- its all mahogany, with graphite reinforced neck.  Mine has the fatest, chunkiest neck of any of my basses - freaking huge!

Despite the grandiose appearance of the neck pickup, its rather docile and polite.  Not of the same ilk as a mudbucker, which it kind of resembles.  Its insides look a lot like the Gibson EB-4L pickup - with a coil for each string, and the Ovation has little trimpots so you can adjust string-to-string balance.  The pickup has a very narrow field - if you bend a string, the note will fade into silence.  Kind of a neat effect in its own right.  Except, of course, when you don't want that to happen  :)

The bridge pickup is also a humbucker, with two coils side-by-side.

The bridge is a monster, but it's easy to adjust, and the mute actually works nicely for some things.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
The neck pick up has four different coils. They are to big to place them in a row, so if you look at the polepieces you see that the A and G polepieces are positioned more towards the bridge and E and D more towards the neck.

If I'm right you can adjust the volume of each coil independently.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:50:22 AM »
Its an amazingly innovative bass or so it seems. How is its playability. Surely the neck cant be as huge as the neck on my Epi Explorer?
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 04:07:42 AM »
I never played one of the Epi Explorers, but I think its the thickness of the neck, and the 2 3/8" width at the body that gives the Ovation so much girth.  The basses I usually play have pretty scrawny necks, though, so it might just be my own point of reference that makes me see it as huge.

It was a very innovative design, and also built like a tank!  It gets plenty of great Ric-ish/Fender-ish/... sounds, but I think if it did one sound well that was really unique unto itself, I'd probably use it more.  Still a fun bass to play, and they can still be seen in the US $5-600 range - not bad for a 30+ year old mahogany bass.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:12:08 AM »
What Magnum has the slide switches?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »
What Magnum has the slide switches?

You mean like this-

..that's the Magnum II.  It has a three-band graphic eq.  There were six sliders, and only three slider-caps (or two, in the case above  :)) - the sliders were teamed up in pairs.  Don't quote me on this, but IIRC in each pair one slider adjusts the boost/cut at the fixed frequency range, and the secondary slider serves as an adjunct to volume control - to boost the signal as you cut frequencies, in an attempt to keep the overall volume level.

Later on, they also made the Magnum III and IV, which had a sort of squished-looking fenderish-body - III being the passive model, and IV having the graphic eq.

I always liked the shape of the Breadwinner, Deacon, and the early Magnums.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »
One word of caution if anyone is thinking about trying one of these:  The wood and graphite in the necks sometimes develop irreconcilable differences.  I've read about accounts of "delamination" on this model of bass, and I believe that is what happened to mine at some point.  When I bought it, someone had already put Humpty back together again, but did not address the finish repair, nor the fact that the fingerboard was hanging on by a thread.  Those tasks were within my limited ability to fix, so I scored it cheap as a result.

Before (auction pic):

After:

Plays great now, and no signs of instability.  I don't know if that problem was specific to a range of serial numbers, or just an artifact of the early hybrid wood/graphite pioneering days.

Now that I think of it, it was a b1*c4 to adjust that neck!!  Tweaks that would normally take a day to settle in, took a week!  Guess that's the graphite (I've never owned a bass with graphite in it before - used to more pliable necks).  The good news is- once you get it where you like it, it will not budge.  At least in my experience with it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:05:04 PM by chromium »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
More Youtube pr0n - Magnum I played by Barry Adamson: