Author Topic: Bass Player Forums - a gripe  (Read 8131 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Bass Player Forums - a gripe
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
 Who says Germans don't have a sense of humor................. ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
Okay, okay, some have...

In Holland we always say: What's the thinnest book on earth? The Big German Book of Jokes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
Humor? Is that a bass brand?

Welcome aching Steve, I have no idea which forum you came from (nor does it matter), but I would hope that any beginner posting a question here along the lines of "How do I find the E string on my bass?" would get a decent answer. If not, ze cülprit would be summarily shot as is good custom here to keep ze humor at bay.

People take the piss on each other here all the time - except me, I'm relentlessly dead-serious and encircled by germanophobes who simply won't forgive me how we almost won the war. But it's all done in good humor and there are fine lines that aren't crossed. We have violent forum schisms (Does finish influence sound? Is chrome hardware nicer than black one? Does fusion belong in music and should the Bill of Rights even apply to fusion fans? Why doesn't Ace Frehley get the same recognition as Jimi Hendrix, both burned guitars?) and ritualistic discussions that never convince anybody except the already converted. Some forumists (or forumissus?) lead alternative life styles or relish in taking pics of chrome mirror images of their, uhm, members. We're happily dysfunctional here.

Uwe

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:35:03 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 04:27:53 AM »
See who says Germans can't be funny, Chris?

Let's please keep this discussion away from what goes on at any other forum

Hiding the Gibson forum are we, the dark child kept in the basement, Uwe's 20/20 bass, Scott's experiments, Mark & George's fashion sense, the Bulb thread?

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:33:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I've found a new home.
This is like walking past that "special" classroom and suddenly understanding that you belong in there with them.

Now, which one's the E string again?

Uwe: Silly question. It's of course the string where your guitarist once you to play all the time.

Ack
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:51:21 AM by uwe »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:52 AM »
I see Fenders in that avatar!!!

:o :o :o :o

"This is like walking past that "special" classroom and suddenly understanding that you belong in there with them."

Indeed! Professor Tarr and Doktor Fether welcome you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:59:19 AM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:57 AM »
Those Bottle of Brittan adds are killing me, best larf I have had in a long time. Welcome ack, we are kind of a wacky bunch but we all seem to get along. Don't worry there are no stupid questions, unless of course your going to ask us something like which string is the E string. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:36 AM »
"I see Fenders in that avatar!!!"

Yup, just a couple on Mexicans hangin' on the wall...

No bass prejudice here whatsoever, though. I seem to like most everything I pick up and play.
I've started quite an array of cheap basses that I'm somewhat proud of.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 05:38:32 AM »
Sounds like me, never meet a bass I didn't like   :-[
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:54:23 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:48 AM »

Now, which one's the E string again?

Ack

We 've got a lot of lefties  here so you've got to be careful . When I asked that question, the first thing I was told was "look to your right". Well , that didn't work too good . After a couple of weeks of looking all over the place on my right side and finding nothing, I realized I was getting bad information >:(.
So, I asked again. This time I got replies from a bunch of 5 and 6 string players. You've got to watch out for them too. Again , nothing but bad information >:(.
So, I asked again. This time I got replies from a bunch of left handed 5 and 6 string players. Bastards......all of 'em, nothing but lying bastards.

So, nobody's gonna help me find my freakin' E string. Well, I decided I was gonna show these lyin' bastards I didn't need them, so I went out and bought a book that had pictures. I told the Chinese guy at the book store I was looking for a book about E string. So he assures me he's got me covered and he wraps this book up for me. I get the book home and unwrap it and it's some I or E Ching crap or something like that. Nothing but lying bastards at the book store too >:(
So , now I'm pissed and I'm gonna go back to the book store and kick the crap out of this Chinese guy, but on the way there I see this store with a big sign out front that says Bassmasters. I was positive that one of these Bassmaster guys could help me out, but boy was I ever wrong. These guys were worse than everybody else. They treated me like I was some kind of nut case and threw me out of the store :o  Can you believe it!!

I dunno....I hope you have better luck than I did with this question :-\   If it weren't for all the great German humor, I wouldn't even hang out here ;D

BTW: Welcome to the Outpost.
Rick (another of the lyin' bastards)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:56 AM »
"No bass prejudice here whatsoever, though."

Well, that fits with us. I have a Mex 60ies reissue Jazz that I dearly love even though the dry German climate seems to be doing the neck no favors (I've had it for a couple of years now, hopefully it will settle in eventually, my Jap Sting Sig took a couple of years too). We have for historic reasons a strong Gibson emphasis here and Gibsonite Basslings have forever a mahogany chip on their shoulder for playing "the brand the bass playing world otherwise chose to ignore", but there is no brand elitism here, whether its Squier, Epi, Rockbass (from Warwick), budget Yamahas or Ibanezes. I always say, if you're worth your salt as a bass player you should be able to sound good enough for 90% of your audience with any currently available 400 buck bass over a working amp and cab. And I get a kick if something cheap and with a low image - did Dave just hiss SB?  ;) - sounds surprisingly good as opposed to a boutique instrument sounding great but still only fullfilling (rightful) expectations.

So what is your collection of cheapos?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:06:38 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »
"Now, which one's the E string again?"

We don't understand the question, there are actually six of them between us ...

Tom Petersson & D(o)ug Pinnick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 07:02:40 AM »
Uwe is right, while I am am a diehard Gibson nut I am by no means limited to only Gibsons. I have Rics, Hofners, Fenders, Kliras, Kingston (the cheap Jap variety), Peavey, SX, Epiphone etc.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:02 AM »
Speaking of lefties, and Dug Pinnick; my old band, in which I, a lefty, played my Hamer 12-string bass, opened for King's X. Afterwards Dug told me it had to be the only gig ever where the bass players were lefties playing 12-strings. Probably so.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:25 AM »
Disaster always strikes twice. Lefty AND 12 string ...  :rolleyes: