Author Topic: Types of Bassists  (Read 4601 times)

Rocker949

Re: Types of Bassists
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »
amateur hack rocker.  I can hang in most situations but tend to keep things relatively simple to minimize the frequency of clams.  after songs become ingrained, I usually stumble onto new runs/riffs/rhythms that are incorporated into the way I play the song.  I wish I had taken more lessons and learned to read when I started playing, but I was too busy trying to be a rock star.

I also fully relate to everything you have said here.  It's as good or better than any of Mooter's terms.

Rocker949

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
I'm not sure amateur is an apt description. I think hobbyist might be a better term for those of us who have been playing for many years, do get paid to play, but don't make a living doing it.

This will probably vary from one person to the next, but to me hobbyist has too much of a negative connotation.  I'd rather be called an amateur than a hobbyist.

nofi

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
how about we are all just bozos on this bus. thank you firesign threater. ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:46:13 AM by nofi »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:31:37 AM »
how about we are all just bozos on this bus. thank you firesign threater. ;D

Ha. Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Civilization.....HOOOOoooo!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »
I'm somewhere between a deli-platter and chip-dip .... but with Jazzer ambitions.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

nofi

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »
hmm. i thought this thread would yield some interesting insights to the peolpe here. apparently there are alot of rose colored glasses out there.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
I'm with Ramone, Rob and Chris on this one. Nicely described Ramone.

I guess I did make a living for 10 years so I would fit into some "has been pro" category but my playing is not what I would call Pro.

The problem I have is that one part of me wants to say Bollocks to categorising and its all a load of crap. But Having put as much into it as I have over the years my ego kind of gets me sucked into validating my playing.   :-[

As for you Miss Mark! Hack my arse .... um hang on a sec that came out wrong.....   You Are no hack. We have all heard you play and I challange anyone here to refer to your playing as Hack playing.  :P
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

I was quite sincere about what I've heard of our forum member's talants, you guys are good, better than me...........plus I enjoy a certain amount of self deprecational humor.
If I compare in any way it's that I truly love what I get to do with my band, but again we all seem to love that alot too.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:34:03 PM »
I suspect that each of us is pretty darn listenable in his own way, but I am sure that many here are more versatile than I am. That's OK as long as we can play music that meets our needs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18:42 AM »
I would consider myself sort of a "has been that never actually was". Whew , that was a mouthful. It's kind of tough to say that with these rose colored glasses pinching my nose :)
Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 05:41:02 AM »
OK who hasn't posted in this thread? 

Please pass these on to the next person in line   :mrgreen:

Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:14 AM »
Where did you get that picture of me?? I thought I destroyed the negatives.
Rick

nofi

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 06:07:46 AM »
me and my big, uh keyboard. :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 07:24:18 AM »
me and my big, uh keyboard. :mrgreen:

Actually, I thought you were pretty much on target. There is nothing tougher than trying to categorize yourself. Even when you're right, how do you REALLY know you're right?   Thank God for rose colored glasses ;D

Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
I guess I'd be in "Dimensionally Challenged"... somewhere out on the "Time Coast"...

Gotta agree, Mark's pretty good... anyway, he's taller than me, he might hit back; just cos he wears a dress don't mean he might not pack-a-punch...

Dug into the "Gods" site so will offer an opinion at an appropriate point... Is there a "God Of Thunder" type of player...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...