Author Topic: Juan Nelson, the only funk bassplayer that would be allowed on this forum?  (Read 8212 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Juan Nelson, the only funk bassplayer that would be allowed on this forum?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
I like some funk, and really like r&b.  And I don't mind slap - there's a time and place.  I admire the players that have the ability to pull it off when the time is right.

A couple bassists I really like who've played in the funk realm are Marshall Jones (Ohio Players) and George Porter Jr., but I find I'm usually more fixated on the band than the bassist.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 05:26:40 AM »
Well every single time I express my love for funk and slap playing I get the cold shoulder. During the discussion on Rick James it even got really ugly and during the discussion about Jermaine Jackson, all I got were negative comments. Nobody was going "yeah, he's actually pretty good."

I like most the stuff you post with exception to your Dutch Mr Bean. I got it up the arse for my "bulb" thread, where were you when I needed you?

Cant a "funk soul brother" count on another to bail you out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_EruMuhM0&feature=related

Uwe is usually the moderator/ middle man as any good lawyer should be, diffusion the prog/ fusion/funk/ bombs, but as of late Uwe has come to the end of "turtles" I fear (see the movie Adaptation)

I think you are taking things a bit "personal' when others do not agree with you or even brow beat you. No one ever has attacked you personally and have only expressed why they do not care for this or that (see bulb).

I see my self as an open minded person and try to see things for what they are saying and sometimes learn from it, making me a better person or growing in my knowledge. It can also re-enforce what you believe in how wrong they are.

Bulb grew such an out pouring of disgust, he must be doing something right. A thread that no one responds to or reads is the worst insult of all.

Do feel bad I feel your pain and suffer along side you Funk Soul Brother.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »

"I got it up the arse for my "bulb" thread,"

Awww................ Man! Where was I  ???

Sorry, just trying to inject a little levity here.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »

Heh, heh - he said "inject" :rolleyes: ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Bringing it all back to the basics! :mrgreen: 

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »

It's all John's fault!
He's pushing my buttons.................

I never instigate anything here  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »
I posted a while back about Jeff Berlin and got a lot of differing views, some not so positive. And while I like a good 5 minute (or the whole hour) argument or discussion as much as anyone I knew I wouldn't change anyone's mind so I let it go. Now after looking back and digesting the comments made I better understand the points of view and in fact agree with a lot of them. Some folks don't care for fusion, I get it. Nothing personal and it's all in fun and cool and all that. :mrgreen:

I don't remember the bulb thread. But I do get a little nervous when I read "bulb" and "I got it up the arse" in the same sentence. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »

Allow me.......... ;D

"But I do get a little nervous when I read "bulb" and "I got it up the arse" in the same sentence."

It only hurts the first time, then it's all good..........

Sorry Ray, just couldn't pass that up!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark! You're such a bad boy!  ;) ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »

I'll Drag you all down to my level................... ;D

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Uriah Duffy is an excellent young player. Check out his site:

http://www.uriahduffy.com/

I like his playing in WHITESNAKE best, but he can get FUNKY with the best of 'em.

chromium

• View Profile
Uriah Duffy is an excellent young player. Check out his site:

http://www.uriahduffy.com/

I like his playing in WHITESNAKE best, but he can get FUNKY with the best of 'em.

We've also established that Whitesnake's bass player Rudy Sarzo shared a signature model bass with Verdine White - making Sarzo implicitly funky (Last Bass Outpost, 2008:o

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Funneee, Joe!  ;D There IS a striking resemblance!! Maybe Sarzo & White ARE twins!!
...or maybe Verdine White is Rudy in disguise, using that last name as a clue for us. ;)