Author Topic: Juan Nelson, the only funk bassplayer that would be allowed on this forum?  (Read 8213 times)

Blazer

Or he yet another one who should be put down because of sticking out his thumb?

rockinrayduke

Re: Juan Nelson, the only funk bassplayer that would be allowed on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »
Put down by who? ???

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »
Who's stopping any discussion of funk bassists? Even if your opinion of someone may not be shared by anyone else, it doesn't mean you can't discuss him.

Blazer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
Put down by who? ???
Well every single time I express my love for funk and slap playing I get the cold shoulder. During the discussion on Rick James it even got really ugly and during the discussion about Jermaine Jackson, all I got were negative comments. Nobody was going "yeah, he's actually pretty good."

nofi

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
i would think by now with the stuff that you post you would expect negative responses. that or else you don't get it. you are after all a guitar player.  :o

Blazer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
i would think by now with the stuff that you post you would expect negative responses. that or else you don't get it. you are after all a guitar player.  :o
Who has been playing bass for just as long as I have been playing guitar I will add.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
During the discussion on Rick James it even got really ugly and during the discussion about Jermaine Jackson, all I got were negative comments. Nobody was going "yeah, he's actually pretty good."

Come on, Rick James barely picked up a bass except to use as a prop. Maybe you didn't read the article in BP featuring his longtime bass player.

And I've already made my love for Jermaine quite clear. :rolleyes: And if nobody said "yeah, he's pretty good" that should tell you something. ;)

You want some love for funk and slapping? Your post today gets a lot closer to the point. Juan Nelson is a funky guy whether you like the style or not. I can take it in small doses but can appreciate the hell out of it. And who's the guy with the North Mississippi All Stars? Similar style. Bootsy, Verdine White, Graham, Rocco, Bobby Vega, Andrew Gouche in the gospel field....SO many legendary and up and coming players that would probably provoke a lively discussion. I think the problem is you picked 2 guys to discuss that are/were pretty light on bass skills.

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Come on, Rick James barely picked up a bass except to use as a prop. Maybe you didn't read the article in BP featuring his longtime bass player.

Here's what I wrote in that particullar thread.
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

I started this thread to discuss a modified Rickenbacker knock off, not to bash people who stick out their thumbs and Slap. So Away with it already, Dave, could you please lock this thread, this isn't fun anymore.

And for good measure, Rick James was a compitent Bassplayer but on his albums and on his live performances it was Oscar Alston's job te keep the low end going. Dave Chapelle's Rick james impersonations aren't really that accurate of the real man, who was quoted saying that Oscar Aslton was the man responsible for all his succes, being able to channel what James wanted to put forward with his bassplaying. Chapelle only points out the over the top persona, not the gentler side of Rick James the human who respected his musicians.

And I've already made my love for Jermaine quite clear. :rolleyes: And if nobody said "yeah, he's pretty good" that should tell you something. ;)

You want some love for funk and slapping? Your post today gets a lot closer to the point. Juan Nelson is a funky guy whether you like the style or not. I can take it in small doses but can appreciate the hell out of it. And who's the guy with the North Mississippi All Stars? Similar style. Bootsy, Verdine White, Graham, Rocco, Bobby Vega, Andrew Gouche in the gospel field....SO many legendary and up and coming players that would probably provoke a lively discussion. I think the problem is you picked 2 guys to discuss that are/were pretty light on bass skills.
But how many times do you see a pop star emerge who plays bass and sings at the same time? Jermaine Jackson certainly wasn't on one par with Larry Graham or Mark King when it came to singing and playing slap bass at the same time but he was somebody who spoke to a different kind of audience, in which singing bass players are a dying breed.

Rick James seldom played bass live but he always gave Oscar Alston the full credit and we certainly can't hold that against him.

"See that man overthere, he is responsible for all my succes." - Rick James to the daughter of his long time recording and touring bassplayer Oscar Alston

"Rick was a big influence on my own playing because of his recklessness and abandon, his own bassplaying always sounded enthusiastic because he never practiced enough to really master it." - Oscar Alston about Rick James

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
I like Juan's playing. I'm not a funk expert by any means (or really a funk fan), but I think he's good. I hear a lot of Ben Harper around my daughter and I haven't heard anything that would make me question Juan's abilities.

I tend to stay away from discusions about how great players are because I don't usually care how well they play, just if I enjoy the music. Prog & jazz players may be bass Gods, but I don't care for most of what they play so I don't listen to them often. Plus this isn't Talkbass, I'm not 16 and don't think I know everything about bass/music.

I also don't care what music any of you like either. I wouldn't hold any of your musical tastes against you (well...probably not) and would ask the same from you. Post whatever music/musicians you like and if others don't like it, don't take it personally.

BTW I'm tired & have been drinking so this post might not make sense ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:11:24 PM by Nokturnal »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
One constant we've had as a group all the way back to the 'pit days is that, for the most part (with very few exceptions), we have been a drama-free bunch. We do our share of lighthearted ribbing and even go so far as to skewer each other once in a while, but we're pretty good about taking what we can dish out. We can good naturedly argue about all sorts of things and still like and respect each other as internet friends because we know, at the end of the day, most of what we say is subjective and opinion based (of course, we also enjoy Dave's wonderful bullshit detector where bass/guitar urban legends, myths, and outright lies are concerned). Blazer, if the (mostly) old guys - me included - don't warm to every taste you profess here, it's not an attack against you personally. I really hope you'll take a minute and consider that.

This place is less cliquey (sp?) than any forum I've ever been a part of. It's refreshing, fun, and usually even interesting  ;). I'm absolutely sure that Juan Nelson and probably even Flea himself would be more than welcome here, provided they didn't bullshit about poly/nitro or get all put out if it took them a little while to get into the groove here.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »
Well every single time I express my love for funk and slap playing I get the cold shoulder. During the discussion on Rick James it even got really ugly and during the discussion about Jermaine Jackson, all I got were negative comments. Nobody was going "yeah, he's actually pretty good."

I totally support your love for funk and play funk all the time at the radio station. Who will dare deny the skill of Bootsy Collins?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Blazer, you seem to post music as some sort of proof or justification that somebody you like is good and then you challenge people with it. It's fine to post, but it's just your personal taste. You shouldn't get uptight when others don't share it.

If nobody here liked funk except you, so what? There's no contest here. Nobody has to prove anything. Nobody has to like who you like. I'm sure there are funk lovers here but this isn't a funk worship group. Whatever music you want to post, stop trying to beat people over the head with it and you'll be much happier.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Juan is an excellent player.  He has a great deal of skill and ,what I would consider, a lot of good taste.
My comments about Jermaine Jackson were largely related to my taste also. I simply don't like his music. It can be difficult to separate ones own taste and be objective about someones skill level. Still, I don't see Jermaine Jackson as being anywhere near the skill level of Juan.

Maybe I'm unable to set aside my own preferences and be objective......I don't think that is the case, but I've been wrong once or twice ;)
Rick

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
Well, I for one dig Ben Harper and that was some fine bass playing. Definitely my kind of funk ..... I like the more greasy stuff than the fusion side of things. Re: Funk in general - to each his own. IMO, saying you love funk is like saying you love Rock. It's really too broad a spectrum. So - I propose we get this thread back on track. What is it about funk that draws you to it?

For me - like I said - I like the greasy stuff. Fusion-y, rock-funk does nothing for me. I get off listening to a bassist lay down a funky groove like Juan did in that clip and solo with SOUL. There's really nothing he did there that was rocket-science but what he played was melodic and it was a nice mix of slap and finger-style funk. He really reminds me of Johnny B. Gayden (Albert Collins' bassist for years). Anyway - my attraction to the style is in the fact that it's a great opportunity for the bass to be way out front in the music, it's soulful and it's one of the few styles where slap can be dominant but the bassist can be just as expressive playing finger-style.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
What George said! :)

Drama Free = GOOD!  ;D

Drama = BAD!  >:(

This wasn't my cup of tea stylistcally - the guy is fantastic BUT, I'm more of a meat and potatos, lock with the drummer, occasional tasteful fill kind of guy ;)

And most importantly: WAS HIS BASS UNDER 8.5 lbs?   ;D ;D ;D