Author Topic: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?  (Read 15070 times)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
Re: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
This is my Klira Twen Star 162-1 from 1966. It's definately got the most Mojo of all of my Klira's. It's not only a great playing and sounding bass, it's definately very unique in its shape as well.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
That was the rare 3 in a row knob with the tobacco teardrop burst that also featured the ice cream cup headstock?

Yes, that's the LPB-1.  A pic of mine is here:
http://slinkp.com/bass/gear

I mentioned it because Skate Rat posted a picture of his red one, which looks pretty similar other than the color.

Hey, Skate Rat, we're neighbors! I'm in Brooklyn too (Prospect Heights).
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »
rock on slinky.but do you roll down stairs,alone or in pairs.i'm in Midwood.so real close.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 12:57:38 AM »
I think my '76 Thunderbird is still the bass for me.

I always wanted a Thunderbird, but I didn't knew how it played and sounded. There was one in a local shop for cheap, but it was battered like hell. Holes where drilled for extra switches, a piece of wood was nailed (!) on the entire lenght the body as a finger rest and I think they used it in a Robin Hood film as a bow. Of course strings where dead, and it had a lot of issues. I still bought it and of course it was a major dissapointment. I had someone to fill up the holes, but it still sounded and played bad. Then my luthier took care of it and.... Wow! It still is the worst looking '76er around, but it's totally my bass. I do all the recordings with it and I actually feel better and I feel more secure playing that bass. I feel like a GI in an old war movie having an M16 at the hip and no one ca do anything to me:) I'm just more myself with that bass. It belongs to me. Of course some mojo is added by one or more previous owners, but I did too:)
It stays better since an unknown sugar uncle send me a 70s case for it:)

If I had to sell some of my basses, of course I would feel bad. But I would be happy with only the Bird and maybe a cheap back up. (BaCH).

The only time I felt totally okay with a bass was with Uwe's blue nonrev. I dunno why, but that bass felt immediately good too. The BaCH comes close, but of course it has a lack of mojo which will come over the years.

nofi

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
my olympia abg has a satin finish. on the back of the neck and portions of the top the finish has been polished off from the oil in my hands through constant playing. if a bass saturated in your own dna does not spell mojo i don't know what does. ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »
my olympia abg has a satin finish. on the back of the neck and portions of the top the finish has been polished off from the oil in my hands through constant playing. if a bass saturated in your own dna does not spell mojo i don't know what does. ;)

Yep thats what I call Mojo.  :toast:
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 07:56:51 AM »

Post a pic, dood.

nofi

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
no camera, dude. besides it's something that would not show up very dramatically in a photo.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »
                                                                                       My '71 it was my first new out of the box bass.
Tony

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 01:00:51 AM »
I suppose I should have posted mine when I started the thread  :rolleyes:

30 years of working together as my main bass. Lots of sweat, a bit of blood and a heap of hard knocks. Still the most comfortable and all round best sounding bass I have ever played.
Digresion our specialty!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
My 81 Jazz that I bought NOS in 1988 for $200.  20 years later, everything still works great.  Had the same set of strings on it for more than 15 years.

Say, who is that yahoo on the right?

This is a cool thread and I've enjoyed checking out everyone's mojo basses!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
keep the mojo going!

I can't make a choice. About the mojo, got some basses who have mojo because of the wierd shapes, basses that are so ugly that they are so goddamn cool, basses that are so beaten down that's they have ton's of mojo.

If I had to pick only to basses out of my collection it would be these two. The first one named "het block"  I was building together with my father. He suddenly died in building process. So it is never finished they wat we intended. It should be firetruck red with a black binding. After my father passed away I connect the pup and on saterday after the funeral I was playing on stage with this bass. It has seen many stages over the last 4 years.

The other one is my totally beaten up '74 musicmaster bass. It's ha sdings, scratches etc all over the place. But this bass is mine. I think my hands are grown exactly so that they match this bass. Of all the basses I got this is the one I pick up the most. This one get played one every day. I'm even thinking of getting a tattoo with a picture of this bass. That's how much I like her.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:10:06 AM by Saf »

Blazer

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2009, 08:53:15 PM »

The "Pink Nightmare"

To give a serious answer I'd say my Fenderbird has the most MOJO of all my basses.

And then there's "The veteran"

Aside from the body NOTHING is original on that guitar and if that body could speak... It has dings and cracks everywhere but all of it honest and there's no other guitar in the world that means THAT much to me.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
My '75 Fender P (maple neck) has the most mojo. That was my first really good Fender (I had two P's before it, but they were the heavy non-resonant late-70's type). For many years it was my only bass and was played A LOT. When I bought it in 1990, it was near mint, now it looks like a relic. No mods, just honest players wear.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
My EB-2. Dual large mudbuckers and stereo outs. Bought it in 1990 for $200.

Given the large soft spot that I and Dr. Bassman have for hollow-body basses, I think this one generates as much envy on my part as any bass in this thread.  And that's not to say there aren't many wonderful, interesting basses.  I console myself with thoughts of my Univox hollow-body and plans to resurrect the tobacco-brown Lyle HB (both shown on page 3 of this thread).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:02:57 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."