Author Topic: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?  (Read 15005 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Cool story Pilgrim
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:40 PM »
The color is a Ford gold metallic from around 1972.  The bass was Olympia white (the best I can recall) when I got it in 1967,but the finish was all chipped up and I've never liked damaged finishes.  I had it re-painted around 1972 by a local body shop and the color I liked best was some contemporary Ford metallic.  It's not that different from Fender's colors, but a bit darker - and Leo used auto paint anyway, so I figure he'd have approved.

The bass was left behind at my parents' when I moved from Washington to southern Oregon after college.  It stayed at home while I moved from OR to WA, earned a Master's, got married, moved to TX and built my career.  Finally in 1996 my parents had to move from the country house to a smaller one in town.  It was time to pick up all the old stuff or dump it.  I retrieved my P-bass, Bassman head and 2x15 cab, but unfortunately I was still in Texas and didn't have a way to move my old white plywood King upright bass.  Had to sell it...and of course, now I wish I had it back.  Getting that P-bass back got me back into music, and I started playing in a band at age 50 - the last time I had played in a band was in my home town at age 23.

So how much time in Pullman? What years? Where else in Washington?

Inquiring Frauleins want to know  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
So how much time in Pullman? What years? Where else in Washington?

Inquiring Frauleins want to know  ;)

He'll have to answer that, but have you noticed his avatar? And the domain of his email address (in profile)? I'd say he's fond of his time at Washington State.  :)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »

Well of course I noticed Dave  ;)

When I was young '64-'65 my father was stationed at the Washington National Guard Armory in Pullman, my Stepmother worked at WSU. I have fond childhood memories of that place! The Palouse is beautiful country, very different from the western half of Washington.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
Mark,

I don't know what I would want more... an M1 rifle or a T-bird.

Since I have numerous rifles and no T-birds the choice should be obvious.

Bring on the Nubiles

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

All a matter of priorities...............Nothing wrong with owning the M-1, except it would have been a lot of work to enjoy it. At the time I only had a 4001 Ric and really wanted another bass, by accident a local music store's ad caught my eye, they had listed the white '89. I hadn't seen a 'Bird anywhere in Seattle for years, I went there that day and put $$$ down on it, then went off and sold some things - bye,bye M-1 Hello White Thunderbird  ;D 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
 My '69 Thunderbird , my main axe since '78 the mojos all mine baby !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
My 1987 Heritage Bass.  I don't know which owner I am.  I'm pretty sure the owner before me acquired it through dishonest means, but I don't know that for a fact.  Regardless, I usually say that to give the thing a little more mystique.  I have the missing pick up, and the cover for the electronics laying around somewhere, dunno where.  Needs a nut and a head stock repair to be back in business.  I have no clue as to the woods, though I believe the neck to be maple.  It's very very light, my old guitarist remarking once that it was lighter than his strat.  I keep meaning to get it spun back into action, but it's not a very high priority right now.

angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

thijs

• Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • TresHombres
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »
A non-reversed thunderbird from around 1968. See it differs from the previous one on this post.
Playing is great... sound's a howling growl! Listen:

A bit customized on the look, Pups and stuff original!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:32:17 AM by thijs »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
Nice modded NR Thunderbird if ya nee a pick guard i can hook you up. here is one i made
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »
Here's my mojo machine:

A 1975 Precision that's been my favorite for many years.  I bought it from a co worker when I worked road construction for $150.  Neither he nor I knew what it was really worth.

A note on the gouges under the Ford emblem, let it be a lesson to you:  drugs are bad, mmmkay??

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »
Well of course I noticed Dave  ;)

When I was young '64-'65 my father was stationed at the Washington National Guard Armory in Pullman, my Stepmother worked at WSU. I have fond childhood memories of that place! The Palouse is beautiful country, very different from the western half of Washington.

Well, then you and I were there about the same time! Wonder if we went to the same schools????

For those of you won don't know, Pullman WA is an unusual town - it has 27,000 people but 18,000 of them are college students. The nearest town that's larger is Spokane, 80 miles north.  Pullman IS WSU. There aren't many small college towns left with major (D-1, PAC-10) universities in them - Pullman is one of the few.  No one spends time in Pullman without some kind of connection to WSU.  It's a fantastic place to grow up, and it runs over with college spirit.

MY dad took a teaching position at Wazzu in 1960 when I was 10.  I attended Edison school (no longer there) for 6th grade, was in the first class in Lincoln Jr. High (since torn down and replaced by a new building) and graduated from the old Pullman High on Main street in 1968.  Went to WSU (as did all four kids in my family) for a B.A. in Broadcasting...kicked around for a few years, found myself back in Pullman and earned a Master's in Adult Ed in 1979.  Got a faculty-equivalent position producing educational radio & TV programs at WSU.  Went to Texas A&M 1985-98, and got involved with WSU Alumni during that time.  Was alumni director for Colorado for six years, then was elected to office, now am Past President of the Alumni Association.  I'm a Coug for life, my wife is a Coug, and my kids are Cougs even though they attend universities in Colorado. So yeah, I think I come by that WSU connection pretty honestly.

More evidence: here's a photo of my left wrist - this graphic has MORE mojo than most of the basses here!  For the uninitiated, the Cougar head also contains the letters W-S-U left to right.  When you wear it in plain sight, no matter where you are in the world, you will hear people yell "Go, Cougs!"

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 07:33:09 AM »
I think that graphic SUCKS! haha Looks like a bird with a wart & nose hairs.
It's got the mojo of a dishrag. lol Sorry but sports fans can be annoying.

Show your BASSES, people.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
Went to Texas A&M 1985-98...

Thirteen years in College Station?  ???  And yet you seem so normal!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »
Whoa,

Didn't mean to steer the thread in a bad way, but its just a "small world" kind of thing!
My late father was the caretaker of the Wash. National Guard Armory in Pullman, and I spent 2 summers there with my brothers (my folks were divorced) climbing on WWII vintage 6x6's and newer jeeps that had 105mm recoiless rifles mounted on them, all while learning how ride a bike, swim or pile into our '59 VW for a fishing trip to the Snake River. Anyway the good Mr.Pilgram probably played little league baseball against my older brothers - a most pleasant coincidence to find this out some 40 odd years later. And while I didn't attend WAAZU, the Cougs are always my choice in the Apple Cup   :toast: