Author Topic: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?  (Read 15006 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »
You can only pick one folks and Pics would be good if you can.

Also you get even more points if the mojo is your own  ;)

Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »

It gets alot of my lovin'
Front doesn't show much in this pic but it's very sweat stained, because - well I sweat, and it must be toxic. The top of the upper 'bout is quite stained, and it's got many dings and dents all over it's once lovely body. The 9 ply is shrinking at dissimilar rates so you can easily see it underneath the paint, the neck also shrank a little, leaving the fret ends a bit exposed - Mike Lull fixed this. 

As you can see it's backside has seen some better days yet I love this bass, I'm it's only owner since it was new back in 1989 when I paid $880.00 for it ( I raised some of the $$$ needed by selling my late father's M-1 Rifle!)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:35 AM »
Thats one sweet lookin T-bird Mark.  I wish basses like that were affordable in Oz. Unfortunately basses like that cost between Aus$2000 and $3000.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »
Almost 30 years with this bass!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:43:04 AM »
How often do you still play it John?
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
'53 Gibson. The year I was born.

The long awaited pics of her made lefty have finally been taken....

"Is that a Beatle Bass?" people ask.
I tell 'em, "No, she's a Zep Bass~ a Mountain Mama!"

Here's the old strap peg hole, as yet Unplugged:

Banjo tuners:

Ain't she a beaut?

I've dialed in the sound so she's playable now, but she hums a bit.
Don't play her a lot. Got her for the MOJO.

If we can make it thru this Recession/Depression together I'll have Doc Dolan move those knobs South & make her forever Southpaw.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:17:27 AM »
My EB-2. Dual large mudbuckers and stereo outs. Bought it in 1990 for $200.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
It would have to be the Holy Crap bass.  Not a lot of wear and tear on it, but definitely the one that's had the most love put into it.  The Bettie Page is already starting to show signs of regular use.  Like Mark, I tend to sweat, and it's pretty acidic.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
My 1963 P, bought in 1967, stored from 1973-1996, and back in my hands.  I'm not a believer in mojo, but I have a strong sentimental attachment to it. It's just a good ol' bass.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:42:29 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »
My 1963 P, bought in 1967, stored from 1973-1996, and back in my hands.  I'm not a believer in mojo, but I have a strong sentimental attachment to it. It's just a good ol' bass.

That P is a real beaut! What color is that~ Cappucino? Verrry nice

Stored for 23 years? What's the story?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Some pretty nice basses in here. Mine is not so nice :)

Ibanez Blazer circa 1981-1982, all maple I believe. Bought it for $200 new during a closeout sale before the Blazers went out and the Roadstar IIs came in.  Stock pickup replaced with Alembic Activator.  Alembic J pickup added later at the bridge... did the routing myself, rather sloppily.  Pickguard sawed down by hand to just the control area... rather sloppily. Note additional chunk of badly-hand-cut black pickguard added later for the pickup blend control.  Dunlop straplocks countersunk into the body using a big drill bit.  20th and 21st frets missing - around 1985 or so I briefly felt inspired to switch to fretless - an inspiration which vanished after only two frets. Thank god I started at that end of the neck :-)
Puke paint job done in my nineties postpunk era when I got tired of the stock Candy Apple.

I haven't played it much lately but it was my only bass for about 18 years.  This thing sounded pretty darn good.
Here's a clip from one of the albums I played it on...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
Ha, here's my Post Punk Puke Paintjob:
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Nice to see that '53, Terr!  Bridge looks great.

Some pretty nice basses in here. Mine is not so nice :)

With ya on that :)

That's my mojo offering - an '86 Aria SB Elite-II.  I scored it pretty cheaply when I was about 16.  It was used, but in mint condition (pearl white, gold hardware) when I got it; however, I found its sound had too much "honk" for me at the time.  A couple years passed, I managed to eradicate its unique voice with an active SD setup, attack it with aircraft stripper, add some black Schaller hardware, and gig it in this band for a couple years:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
Ha, here's my Post Punk Puke Paintjob:

Love it!

Chromium, I like that Aria as well. I've occasionally thought of stripping mine but eh, seems a lot of bother and would only uncover the horrors I've done to the wood.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »
That P is a real beaut! What color is that~ Cappucino? Verrry nice

Stored for 23 years? What's the story?

The color is a Ford gold metallic from around 1972.  The bass was Olympia white (the best I can recall) when I got it in 1967,but the finish was all chipped up and I've never liked damaged finishes.  I had it re-painted around 1972 by a local body shop and the color I liked best was some contemporary Ford metallic.  It's not that different from Fender's colors, but a bit darker - and Leo used auto paint anyway, so I figure he'd have approved.

The bass was left behind at my parents' when I moved from Washington to southern Oregon after college.  It stayed at home while I moved from OR to WA, earned a Master's, got married, moved to TX and built my career.  Finally in 1996 my parents had to move from the country house to a smaller one in town.  It was time to pick up all the old stuff or dump it.  I retrieved my P-bass, Bassman head and 2x15 cab, but unfortunately I was still in Texas and didn't have a way to move my old white plywood King upright bass.  Had to sell it...and of course, now I wish I had it back.  Getting that P-bass back got me back into music, and I started playing in a band at age 50 - the last time I had played in a band was in my home town at age 23.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."