Author Topic: Reloading a Marshall slope cab... advice requested...  (Read 12474 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Reloading a Marshall slope cab... advice requested...
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
LMAO
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
Hmm... sounds squirrelly...?  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
ev are really expensive  - very clean   - think Stanley Clarke.

They also crunch up quite nicely; think Zakk Wylde: he uses EVM12's in his guitar cabs, and they lack neither bite nor bottom. An old Marshall 4x12 bass cab isn't going to have any appreciable bass fundmental no matter what it's loaded with, but it doesn't matter because what most folks think of as "bass" isn't actual fundamental anyway.

eminence  are great.

Eminence makes loads of speakers. Because they are the world's largest musical instrument speaker manufacturer, and they make many other "brands" to spec as OEM models, there is NO "Eminence sound." Saying Eminence speakers sound good is like saying, "I like pie." You need to get specific to the model.

Celestion are guitar speakers IMHO.

Likewise, Celestion also makes a vast array of speakers, even though their 30 watt "greenbacks" are how most musicians know them. All of Trace Elliot's very clean and big-bottomed bass cabinets from the 80's and 90's came loaded with Celestions and I'll put the 15" they used in their 1153 cabinet up against ANY 15", new or vintage.

any cab in the marshal/hiwatt vein will greatly improve with some ports to allow the lowest frequencies to escape thge cab.

...only if you tune the port to the cab volume and speaker parameters, which is highly unlikely as there simply isn't enough air volume in a 4x12 to make a port useful. I have a Marshall 4x15 that is basically a scaled-up 4x12 except that is ported. Even with larger speakers, air mass, and ports, it doesn't have much bottom.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »
...but I do like pie... ;)

Got to admit, me old mukka, the pair of 75w "Governor's" I put in, on their own in that sealed cab, knock those old Celestions into a proverbial cocked hat - very pleased with the sound - pound for pound, I'm well pleased...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »
I use Eminence Deltas........................they come in 16 ohm
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »
I shall bear that in mind when I get the next two... ;)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Love the Sound Shitty!:D

nofi

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
i put an eminence 15" in my twenty year old roland combo. speaker is rated at about 250 watts and the power supply is 60 watts. the tone is wonderfull, thick and quiet. for what i do i will never need another amp.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2010, 04:26:37 AM »
i put an eminence 15" in my twenty year old roland combo. speaker is rated at about 250 watts and the power supply is 60 watts. the tone is wonderfull, thick and quiet. for what i do i will never need another amp.

That's what I'm talking about. You can't get away with that type of power mismatch and still get a decent sound with a lot of speakers. When I hook up my Gibson Atlas head at 35-40 watts to my Seymour Duncan cab  with a 15" speaker that Eminence made to specs for Seymour Duncan , which is something like 235 watts constant and I don't even remember what the peak is, it sounds great. With a mismatch like that it should sound like crap but it doesn't . If you listened to it blindfolded , you would swear you were listening to a Sunn 200S with the volume on about 4. Nice warm pushy tube sound .
Rick