Author Topic: Oh no, another string thread.............................  (Read 6681 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no, another string thread.............................
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
The Rotosound rounds on the PC lasted over twenty years... I had totally forgotten how bright they sounded from new when the new set went on post the refin...

The Roto Monel flats on the fretless Jazz are spot-on for me... I've spent most of my time playing this beastie as I'm still between bands...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:40 AM »
If I may interject: I noticed the D'Addario lookalike strings on my 2010 JB MIA too. And if they are not exactly the same thing they sure has hell sound like it. Which to me is not a bad thing, D'Addarios were my preferred strings for a long time - never forgive them for deleting the XL Reds! -, it's only with old age that I've turned promiscuous and will try any brand out of sheer curiosity. Which brings me baclk to my pet theory that these days you will be hard-pressed to find a set of bad strings even at budget quality. I've had junk bargain bin strings that weren't even packaged and they sounded great if not for very long but given that I always have something like 50 to a 100 sets of strings (all brands, short, long and extra-long scale) lying  around gathering dust, string change is a necessary chore to keep stock moving! And the sonic results are sometimes surprising.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:14:35 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »
After a brief experiment with DAs and GHS, I've decided I like the DA flats and have ordered 3 more sets.  I like the sound and feel of them in long and short scale.  The tension feels right and I like the sound of them.  I'll miss the TIs I always used to buy, but the price is just over the top IMHO.  When I can get 2 sets of really nice strings for the price of one, I'll switch!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!