Author Topic: Alrighty  (Read 1626 times)

patman

• View Profile
Alrighty
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »
Dad broke his leg last Friday, and was operated on Saturday to install a plate. Dad has had alzheimers, but his wife has done a wonderful job taking care of him...up to now he has been mostly continent and lucid, and not too much different than any 89 year old.  He could pretty much take care of himself, more or less.

Apparently as a result of the surgery/anesthesia, his cognitive level has taken a steep reversal.  To the point where he is in a nursing home, not continent, and  hallucinating...this is not good.  Hard to see someone you worshipped as a kid in this condition.

He graduated from High School and left home at 16, joined the CCC's as a surveyor, got an engineering degree, fought in WW2(saw combat)...worked as an engineer till age 70...and now this.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Alrighty
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Been there with my mom (hydrocephalus), it's hard to see that happening. My hunch is that a majority of people here have or will experience something similar with at least one of their parents. It's the other side of the longevity coin. People's bodies don't drop dead with sixty anymore, but the mind still has a "best used before"-date.  :-\ Maybe there is a reason for that, we are not made to last forever.

I hope it's only a momentary lapse and he will recover some. And if not, don't let the sight of a shrinking flower let you forget how gorgeous it looked in full bloom.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
Wishing you all the best from this side of the pond and I can only echo Uwe's sentiments...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
best wishes for your dad.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
I hope this negative effect disappears very soon!  Best wishes...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
Best to all concerned.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:22:40 AM »
About three years back, my Mother broke part of her pelvis after falling, they pumped her full of pain killers & over medicated her to the point she was no longer herself. It took over a month to get her back so they could start therapy. It was kinda creepy. At that age, many people can not process meds like a younger person can, it's worse if dementia is starting. I hope your Dad comes around again.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
I want the kit for putting down a great Dane when I get to that point...I'll do it myself...

Give me a bottle of Jack Daniels and the kit. Put Flatt and Scruggs (make that Earl Scruggs and Tom T Hall--"The Storyteller and the Banjo Man"-it doesn't get any better than that) on the stereo. Off to the next adventure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:13:14 AM by patman »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:50 AM »

Hard to see someone you worshipped as a kid in this condition.

Been there :sad: Alzheimers is a tough one, I watched my mother go through it. Stay strong and be there for him whenever you can.
Rick

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
ahh thats harsh.my sympathies,my dad has just been diagnosed with alzheimers,hes pretty good still but who knows what the future will bring.
Louder bass!.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Best wishes to you and your father.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
Thoughts and prayers sent. 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
visited today...not good. hallucinating constantly...