Author Topic: In ear monitor system  (Read 2920 times)

patman

• View Profile
In ear monitor system
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Tonight is the second week we have used our relatively new in ear monitors (and new monitor board)...

it is actually pretty cool.  We have no backline.  So far we have a pair of wedges up front in case of catastrophic equipment failure (or in case one of our many friends want to come up and sing with the band).  

It's worked well so far...using future sonics ear buds...they deliver a ton of bottom end, even when used with very little volume. So far I am very happy with the results. You can hear everything... intonation, when people rush, or play too busy etc.  With a little time, I think the band will sound much better.

Anybody else try IEM's instead of a conventional setup? How did you use them?  Do you still use a backline? Do you still use wedges?

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Re: In ear monitor system
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
The band which I'd spent 11 years with (until this past June) used them and we still used a backline mainly for looks.  We had a large PA system and no floor monitors.  The vox and guitar used Carvin and I went with a Shure PSM200.  I used a different set of ear buds but can't recall the brand.  They had much better bass response than the Shure's did.  I just had bass and a little guitar, midi and vox in my mix.  We used an Allen and Heath Mixwizard for the IEM's.  It really helped my playing because I could hear what I was doing a lot better!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »
Didn't know you'd dropped out of your band - did they split up or did you move on to pastures new...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »

My band has used them for quite some time now, personally at first I didn't care for them at all. As time has gone on tho I grown to like them a lot. We always still have a backline for a show, depending on the FOH my rig is a stage monitor or provides the bass. We just use an inexpensive Shure set up, it's been fine, with very little to complain about. It's helped us become way tighter and really hear what's going on, it helps a lot at rehearsal too. Side benifits include not losing your hearing when your spot on stage is right next to the drummer and those zingy cymbals.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
worked real well last night...but my right ear bud keeps oozing out...need to get a better fit.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
Didn't know you'd dropped out of your band - did they split up or did you move on to pastures new...?

I was getting tired of playing all the time. (if you can believe that!)  My job requires me to work most Saturdays and we were doing a lot of Friday shows.  Just to much for me to work Friday, get to the gig after work, set up, play, tear down, get home at 4 a.m. then back up at 6 on Saturday and do it all over again Saturday night.  I was napping between sets in my truck for a while.  If I was still a youngster it would not have bothered me in the least.  It is nice to spend time with the family on weekends now.   :)  I haven't seriously played my bass in 5 months.  Maybe I was burned out?   :-[

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »
worked real well last night...but my right ear bud keeps oozing out...need to get a better fit.

I always had trouble with them slipping out.  I sweat so much during the shows that I kept a towel handy and wiped my ears every now and then.  Changing your rubbers often seemed to help them stay in longer.......... ;)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
know what you mean about burn out...we probably play 60-70 nights in a year, and for the first 3 months or so of every year, my job escalates to 6-7 days per week...

I'm 55...I'll hang in there as long as I can, but every year gets harder.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
Whew!  I also just looked at my old bands calendar and they had 80 shows booked this year. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
Whew!  I also just looked at my old bands calendar and they had 80 shows booked this year. 

I'm comfy just playing 4 or 5.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
We have scheduled fewer for next year, so far. I like the band to play enough to be tight and professional, though.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
It does get tougher as i get older .  Been  playing about 60 shows a year with 3 bands and a pretty intense day job at times.

But my holiday present from GE makes it a lot easier.    After 15 years the b@st@rds just laid me off.   We have (had )  a very lucrative supplemental pension plan for executive band folks  which takes into account much more of your total comp  into the pension calculation versus the first   XXXXX dollars that the regular pension uses.   One catch is if you leave before your hit 60 it is totally forfeited.  so after walking around with a bullseye on my back they finally took the shot last week.  Talking to a labor lawyer about it but  right ow my pension just got reduced by about 70% when i hit 60. 

GE - we bring good things to life  - my @rse
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »
sorry to hear about that, Jim...hopefully it will all work out for the better.

you're in my prayers...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Sounds like a company cutting people before they hit the magic number in order to save money.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."