Author Topic: Phony craft whiskey  (Read 459 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

patman

• View Profile
Re: Phony craft whiskey
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
Interesting ...My mom's family was from there...we visited every Sunday. only a forty minute drive from Cincinnati (maybe an hour back then).

Grandpa worked there (Seagrams), in the forties, I believe (he was dead by 1950)...I used to love the smell of the town.  Sour mash smell permeated everything. There were two distillers there back then: Seagrams and Schenley.

Regardless of being from a huge factory, it's probably good stuff.  Those folks know whiskey.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:28:18 AM by patman »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »
There's "craft whiskey" now?  :rolleyes: Our friend, "marketing", is hard at work I see...  :bored:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
the "craft" is fooling the public. >:(
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
I'll stay with the craft brews from the area here in Fort Collins, thank'ee. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »
There really are micro-distilleries, they're spreading fairly fast although I doubt it will ever be as big as craft breweries. Here's a local story from late last year and another from this year. These people really are operating small batch craft distilleries. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the other ones aren't real at all.

Years ago (late 90s) I happened to be talking to a beverage chemist from Archer Daniels Midland and was surprised when he told me that a number of so-called distilleries actually bought their liquor by the tank car load from ADM.