Author Topic: Gibson vs. Dean verdict  (Read 584 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Gibson vs. Dean verdict
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 05:22:20 AM »
I wonder if this will have any effect on the Chibsons becoming more and more common . I never had much difficulty identifying a Dean , or a Hammer . Some are blatant forgeries , stamped “Made in the USA”.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 07:45:03 AM »
I wonder if this will have any effect on the Chibsons becoming more and more common . I never had much difficulty identifying a Dean , or a Hammer . Some are blatant forgeries , stamped “Made in the USA”.

I doubt it. Counterfeits are a different issue. Deans are clearly labeled, they've never tried to claim that they're Gibsons.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »
$4,000 award. The ES decision intrigues me the most.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:35:56 AM »
I got this e-mail:

SUBJECT LINE: Dean Guitars Wins Defense to Gibson Trademark Claims
BODY:
In response to today’s jury verdict, Armadillo CEO Evan Rubinson issued this statement:
?“We are thrilled that a Texas jury has vindicated Armadillo in ruling for Armadillo on its defense to Gibson’s trademark claims on our Dean V guitar, Dean Z guitar, and Evo headstock.  The jury found that Armadillo is not liable to Gibson for our long use of those guitars and headstock.  The jury issued a judgment in the amount of $4000, a mere fraction of the $7 million plus originally sought by Gibson.”

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:55:33 AM »
Isn't it a bit late to go after Dean for being undoubtedly inspired by the more heavy metal guitar shapes of Gibson? They've been doing that for decades and I always thought it was more of a homage than anything - even in times when Gibson seemed itself to have forgotten about these shapes and only intent on making - yawn! - Les Pauls. Nobody who wants a Gibson will buy a Dean and vice versa - the Dean headstock is a visual brand exclamation mark proudly, even garishly identifying their products even from a distance.

I never thought Ric played a Gibson here ...

My favorite The Cars song - with a PROGish odd several-meters-over-another verse, Herr Heslin! (The rhythm section does 5/4, everyone else 4/4, possibly a rehearsal accident and they stuck with it because it sounded interesting.  :) )

Don't think that Gibson will regain him as an endorser by this.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:06:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 08:26:10 AM »

My favorite The Cars song - with a PROGish odd several-meters-over-another verse, Herr Heslin! (The rhythm section does 5/4, everyone else 4/4, possibly a rehearsal accident and they stuck with it because it sounded interesting.  :) )

Ha, yeah, I like that tune too. You can see Greg Hawkes counting 1, 2, 3, 4 on his fingers during the verse.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »
Good guy, he wants to join the compelling rhythm section!

A lovely man, even if usually accustomed to more conventional meters.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...