Author Topic: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV  (Read 16413 times)

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
Re: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 03:19:39 AM »
I like!  :thumbsup:  You do a mean Faron Young too.

Thanks, buddy--I was afraid someone would find that, which is from a couple years and about 60 lbs. ago.  We sound better than that now--especially since I'm wielding the Bird!  We hadn't been together too long at that point.  Here's another one with Gary singing:

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:01 AM »
Welcome, Finlover! As I read your about the style of your band, the cd-player is rolling the country album by David Ferguson. You heard it yet? It'll be released in Sweden next week. Great record! Sounds a lot like the early 60's country style, with overtones of Cash and Nelson. And the tunes... Ballad of a teenage queen amongst them. Love the record. Highly recommended to any country lover!

Thanks, Stjofön! I haven't heard it yet but from the YouTube clips I've seen of him I know I'll like it!

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »
+1 on the David Ferguson album. Thanks for the tip Stjofön.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »
Beautiful looking Cherry-Bird.  Mine is a white one; I must be really lucky because there is no rippling in the finish at all.  It's a great job.

Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
That is such a beauty!! :o  It was a friend of mine's white Firebird that inspired me to take a second look at the T-bird because it looked so damn cool!  If the new 'Birds were available in white it would have been a tough choice between that and the cherry.

You ARE lucky that your finish is perfect!  Apparently a few finish flaws are par for the course on these (and other Gibsons).  I realize nitro is more labor intensive than polyester (which is self-leveling), but you would think they'd pay extra attention to leveling the finish since it's one of the first things people notice.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
Beautiful looking Cherry-Bird.  Mine is a white one; I must be really lucky because there is no rippling in the finish at all.  It's a great job.

Beauty here!

My white '89 sure doesn't look like this, very yellowed, like butter color.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
I think you might have a subliminal attraction to the TBird because the wings are a bit like the ones on your Olds.

Also....your car is my favorite Fender color. Matter of fact, I have a Fender PBass in that color on EBAY!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150817950149?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
You could be right!  Being a child of the late-'70s/early-'80s, which was the absolute Dark Ages of industrial design, I'm drawn to all things Space Age.

That P Bass is a stunner!!  Is it sacrilege to want a Thunderbird in Burgundy Mist?  I'd settle for one in the Gibson custom color "Heather", which was from the '60 Cadillac color chart.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:17:16 PM by finlover »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks, buddy--I was afraid someone would find that, which is from a couple years and about 60 lbs. ago.  We sound better than that now--especially since I'm wielding the Bird!  We hadn't been together too long at that point.  Here's another one with Gary singing:

60 lbs., good for you.

Gary has a very good voice. I gotta say, though, even early Steve Earle is beyond the era I listen to.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
i thought that car was a chrysler imperial?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
I gotta say, though, even early Steve Earle is beyond the era I listen to.

I'm with you, Dave!  If I had my druthers our material wouldn't extend much past the early '70s.  Even most "outlaw country" doesn't do a whole lot for me.

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
i thought that car was a chrysler imperial?

Sharp eye!  Yep, my little profile picture is of a '59 Imperial, which is way "finnier" than my '59 Olds.  Hey, they don't call me finlover for nothing (okay, nobody in the real world calls me that).

Greg

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
Have to agree concerning a bit about the country of the early 70's. Commander Cody, and the stuff made by Flying Burrito Bros, Grateful Dead, and a whole bunch of other bands, are really what I need for breakfast. Though I really fell deeply in love with the tunes by Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, and that girl who's name skips my mind right now, the chick that got killed in an airplane crash in -63 or -64, who sang Crazy - right into your heart - from the late 50's, early 60's. And then came The Beatles, and I forgot about everything else...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
Is it just me or does Greg/Fin have more than a passing resemblance to Uwe...?

(welcome aboard... ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

Well, doppelgänger IS a German word.  Hmmmmm...

What I wanna know is who is the guy in Uwe's profile picture?  Is it Uwe in a previous rock star life?  Kinda looks like Mick Mars to me.