Author Topic: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV  (Read 16414 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Welcome Greg! Nice to have another Tbird nut here! Very cool Olds, even cooler that it is in movies! Overall my Cherry Bird is a pretty nice piece of work, I thought it was a good deal at 1,200.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
Thanks, Dave!  I've always wanted to ask, who is the character in your profile pic--it's driving me crazy!  Is he from a '60s TV show?

It's Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling from the Darling family appearances on Andy Griffith. With The Dillards as the rest of the band and Maggie Peterson as Charlene.

BTW, banjo player Doug Dillard passed away last week.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
LOVED that movie - delighted to hear it's your car.

Welcome!

And I had the pleasure of lunching with Ze Fraulein in Mark persona - helluva nice guy, and you're right, a handsome gent.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
Welcome aboard, finlover! Between the bass, the car, and even a cute girl in your band, you should fit in just fine around here.  ;)

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
The Cherry T Bird looks great on you and I don't even know you or what kind of music you do...but that Girl in the band is a Doll!!!

Thanks, Baz!!  The name of the band is 3 Chord Rodeo and we do country mostly from the '60s--George Jones, Merle Haggard, Marty Robbins, etc.  I trade lead vocals with Kerry (the pretty one) and Gary (the guy with the Ovation), who has a Waylon-esque voice.  Believe it or not, Kerry is 60 years old and even prettier in person!  They're all great people and I love playing with them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:54:48 PM by finlover »

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »
It's Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling from the Darling family appearances on Andy Griffith.

Of course!  To my generation that would be a young Uncle Jessie from Dukes of Hazzard.  Andy Griffith had a much better show though!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Nice Olds, Finlover! Does the '59 have that wacky column shifter where Reverse is normally where you would find "L" or "1"? The repair shop I worked at back in the 80s had a '62 Dynamic 88 with a 394-4V. Ran like the proverbial raped ape. We used it as a loaner car for customers - until one guy decided he was going to pull a holeshot with the car in (what he thought was) "L". It wound up with the sizable impression of a telephone pole in its keister. (see how easily we weave in and out of such subjects around here?)
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
Welcome Greg! Nice to have another Tbird nut here! Very cool Olds, even cooler that it is in movies! Overall my Cherry Bird is a pretty nice piece of work, I thought it was a good deal at 1,200.

Thanks Scott!  I'm amazed by your repair work and pickguards.  Did your Cherry Bird have the same orange peely areas as mine or any other little defects?  $1,200 was a killer deal!

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
Nice Olds, Finlover! Does the '59 have that wacky column shifter where Reverse is normally where you would find "L" or "1"? The repair shop I worked at back in the 80s had a '62 Dynamic 88 with a 394-4V. Ran like the proverbial raped ape. We used it as a loaner car for customers - until one guy decided he was going to pull a holeshot with the car in (what he thought was) "L". It wound up with the sizable impression of a telephone pole in its keister. (see how easily we weave in and out of such subjects around here?)

Your are correct, Sir--Reverse is all the way down.  I actually prefer it, seems more intuitive to me.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
Thanks, Baz!!  The name of the band is 3 Chord Rodeo and we do country mostly from the '60s--George Jones, Merle Haggard, Marty Robbins, etc.  I trade lead vocals with Kerry (the pretty one) and Gary (the guy with the Ovation), who has a Waylon-esque voice.  Believe it or not, Kerry is 60 years old and even prettier in person!  They're all great people and I love playing with them.

WOW!! She Looks WAY younger man...HOT!!! OOH WEE!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
 I used to work in music retail, I still get great deals, I'm fortunate in that respect. On mine the finish is a little ripply around the base of the fingerboard, not bad but you would expect better. Also the stain is a little blotchy on the top, not that most would notice. I'm nit picking the bass is a fine effort by Gibson.  :)
Thanks Scott!  I'm amazed by your repair work and pickguards.  Did your Cherry Bird have the same orange peely areas as mine or any other little defects?  $1,200 was a killer deal!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »
WOW!! She Looks WAY younger man...HOT!!! OOH WEE!!!

And she passed the HOT gene on to her 27 year old daughter, who's awfully fun to flirt with when Kerry's not lookin' (and my wife's not at the show) ;)  See--you guys are a bad influence--I'm already showing my degenerate side!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
Yeah, you fit in just fine here!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 11:07:25 PM »

I like!  :thumbsup:  You do a mean Faron Young too.

Of course!  To my generation that would be a young Uncle Jessie from Dukes of Hazzard.  Andy Griffith had a much better show though!

Don't forget Mad Jack from Grizzly Adams.

With all the westerns on when I was growing up, you could see Denver Pyle about every other week in a character role.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 12:58:14 AM »
Welcome, Finlover! As I read your about the style of your band, the cd-player is rolling the country album by David Ferguson. You heard it yet? It'll be released in Sweden next week. Great record! Sounds a lot like the early 60's country style, with overtones of Cash and Nelson. And the tunes... Ballad of a teenage queen amongst them. Love the record. Highly recommended to any country lover!