Author Topic: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV  (Read 16412 times)

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
LE Cherry Thunderbird IV
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
Hi, Everyone!

I've been lurking here since I got my 'bird a couple months ago and thought I'd introduce myself.  As a longtime Jazz Bass player I was shocked when I picked up a T-bird for the first time and fell completely in love with its sound, playability and of course its looks!  Why hadn't I ever even considered one before?  I guess it was the slightly higher price compared to a US Fender and the notion that they were strictly rock basses meant to be played with a pick (I play mostly vintage country, fingerstyle with flats).  I even work at a music store that carried Gibson at one time and I don't remember us stocking many T-birds, maybe a black or sunburst one here and there.  I don't recall ever plugging one in.  What a mistake--I could've gotten a sweet employee discount!

No other bass I've played feels like an extension of me like the Thunderbird does.  The high output, instant attack and incredible sustain make for one amazing instrument!  Plus mine weighs just under 8 lbs. and there's none of the dreaded neck dive.  The workmanship on mine is top notch except for a little orange peel where the body wings meet the raised center part which I guess is pretty common.  I was able to improve it somewhat with some 2000 grit sandpaper and Meguire's products.  Uwe and Scott, I think you both own one of these--how was the finish on yours?

I've never been a black hardware guy but with this color I think it works.  The pickups are undeniably ugly but they sound so sweet I can live with them.  My fretboard doesn't have much grain to it but the inlays and fretwork are nicely done.  I still don't know if mine is preciosa or baked maple as the Gibson website says.  I wonder if there's some way to tell?

Anyway, thanks for all the great information and the entertaining posts--I look forward to participating!
My apologies to those who have seen these photos before on TB.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:45 AM »
Welcome Finlover! You came to the (only) right place to discuss Thunderbirds and all things Gibson bass! :mrgreen:

Now tell us about that amazing Oldsmobile!

Don't worry we're used to topics "meander" somewhat.
As you may have noticed they all end up in the big black hole of WWII aircaft, scale models and sodomy  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:48:47 AM by Basvarken »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
Welcome aboard!  Pictures of T-Birds and cars are the norm around here!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:04:46 AM »
Hmmm...big black hole and sodomy...Mark won't be able to leave THAT one alone! ;D

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I feel like I know you guys from reading all 82 pages of old posts.

The Olds is a '59 Dynamic 88, which was the bottom of the line though mine is well-optioned.  the color is original to the car and is called Burgundy Mist, which is where Fender got it's custom color.  It has a 371 V8 with the optional 4 barrel carb, an automatic transmission, and power steering and brakes (thank goodness).  I've had so much fun with this car since I bought it in a lot rougher shape back in '91.  It's even been in a couple of movies including "Secondhand Lions" with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine.

]

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:17 AM »
Welcome aboard!!! Beautiful bass & car!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »
Thanks, Nokturnal!!  I'm happy to be here!

Now that I have one, it's a mystery to me why Thunderbirds aren't more popular than they seem to be.  I guess compared to most basses the design IS pretty radical (even after 49 years!), Gibson QC isn't the best and the marketing isn't that strong.  Oh well, that just makes them more exclusive I suppose.

In my opinion T-birds have the coolest headstock in the business: the way it resembles an eagle's beak in profile and is outlined in the body color.  Also the way it points away from the body horn gives the assymetrical design aesthetic balance.  I never get tired of looking at it!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »
The only thing better than the T-Bird headstock is the old Epiphone batwing headstock from an Embassy or Newport.   8)

BTW - Secondhand Lions is a great movie. I'll have to look for your car next time I watch it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »

Hi Greg!

Nice to have you here at our little bastion of (in) sanity!
Hope you like cars, WWII aircraft, electric trains, and yes occasionally we discuss 'the love that dare not speak it's name"  ;)
 The Oldsmobile and T Bird are beautiful as ever, just reminds me to shoot some new pics this Summer. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
Hi Greg. Love that cherry LE.

... and yes occasionally we discuss 'the love that dare not speak it's name"  ;)

Occasionally? We can dare to speak of our love for Fenders anytime.  :)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »

What do you mean "we" ?

;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
The only thing better than the T-Bird headstock is the old Epiphone batwing headstock from an Embassy or Newport.   8)

BTW - Secondhand Lions is a great movie. I'll have to look for your car next time I watch it.

Right you are, sir!  Headstocks so often seem like afterthoughts, but the batwing's a great one.

Here's a clip from the movie.  My car appears at around 4:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUiCSIUa2M&feature=related
I got to watch them film that scene (over and over).  It was great fun and I got to eat the catered lunch they had for the actors, which was awesome!  The best part was that it paid $800!

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »

Hi Greg!

Nice to have you here at our little bastion of (in) sanity!
Hope you like cars, WWII aircraft, electric trains, and yes occasionally we discuss 'the love that dare not speak it's name"  ;)
 The Oldsmobile and T Bird are beautiful as ever, just reminds me to shoot some new pics this Summer. 

Thanks, Mark!  You seem to let your hair down a little more on this forum, which is always entertaining! :popcorn:
Can't wait for new pics of your amazing collection!  They're all beauties, but the purple's my fave.
By the way, I saw the lone shot of you out of drag and I must say you're a handsome fella!  Of course all is not right with the world unless you assume the identity of "das Fräulein"!

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
Hi Greg. Love that cherry LE.

Occasionally? We can dare to speak of our love for Fenders anytime.  :)

Thanks, Dave!  I've always wanted to ask, who is the character in your profile pic--it's driving me crazy!  Is he from a '60s TV show?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
Thanks, Mark!  You seem to let your hair down a little more on this forum, which is always entertaining! :popcorn:
Can't wait for new pics of your amazing collection!  They're all beauties, but the purple's my fave.
By the way, I saw the lone shot of you out of drag and I must say you're a handsome fella!  Of course all is not right with the world unless you assume the identity of "das Fräulein"!

Ahhh....Well,  many fine gentleman and I on this forum go back a few years to a place called "The Dudepit" which had a great Gibson bass forum - I first inflicted my strangeness upon them there, they, in turn were great sports about it and along the way have shared their knowledge, friendship and a great "Kommerad" that you don't often find.  You are amongst very fine people here, I'm happy you' re joining us - Welcome.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »
The Cherry T Bird looks great on you and I don't even know you or what kind of music you do...but that Girl in the band is a Doll!!!