Author Topic: Epiphone Thunderbird Classic  (Read 15363 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/05/04/epiphone-introduces-thunderbird-classic-iv-pro-basses/

This is causing a lot of excitement over at TB. If this is a neck-thru like the write ups claim, I will be buying a white one. I need some contrast to my 3 black T-Birds  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

saltymonkey

• View Profile
Re: Epiphone Thunderbird Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
I'll be buying a white one as well. Seems like a great deal for $500 and a great platform to chromeify.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
I like the black on it  :mrgreen: But chrome would make it look more "classic". Also found this link to a "TV Silver" bolt-on version:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEBTBLTD

TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »

The spec page says it's a 7 ply neck thru, looks nice, reasonable $$$ too. here's to hoping the neck profile is more Gibson than Epi  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
The active Pro IV and V (the V is meanwhile deleted) had neck thru construction (albeit with maple walnut multiply necks), so I don't see why Epi shouldn't be able to repeat the exercise here. The active Pros - Made in China - were well-made basses.

With the look, the construction and the original TB Plus pups this is of course asking for cannibalizing sales in conflict with the Gibson TB so I am wondering whether Gibson is up to making a change there (the Gibson TB hasn't seen a major change, update or facelift since it was reintroduced in 1987), only the TB Plus pups have been reworked again and again.

I wouldn't be averse to giving the white one a try either. If they are really priced at 500 $, then this might also ring the bell of doom for the current Epi bolt-on neck alder/maple TBs which would then be too close for comfort in price.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
That TV Silver model has the same "Epiphone TB Plus" pups as the predecessor ltd ed Siverburst TBs had. Those pups are horrible, way wore than the usual Epi angular soapbars. In fact those silver humbuckers are guitar pups (six pole pieces and all) Epi uses on its cheaper guitars, they are wound for output not sound and have an obnoxious emphasis on cheap sounding  mids with little treble and bass. I replaced mine with Gibson TB Plus humbuckers and the difference couldn't have been more stark.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
Now that's a weird marketing move.
It'll bite two ways: the cheaper bolt on Epi and the more expensive Gibson.

Otoh: I may have to buy one now  :mrgreen:

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
Maybe it's fallout from the Lacey Act raids. SOmebody thinks Thunderbirds need Rosewood fretboards and the only legel wat to import them is as finished products. Now we know why domestic Thunderbirds are in short supply.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
It depends on what actually comes out. This listing says the neck is slim taper, not 60s rounded. This also says slim taper but says it's bolt-on. Some say Gibson TB Plus pickups, another says USA Epiphone. Is there a difference?

A Chinese neck-through with US Thunderbird pickups would be a good deal at $500. Not sure it would really cannibalize the market, it might fill a gap and increase sales.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
I've never understood exactly what four 1/16"strips of walnut  (less than 1% of the mass of the bass) were supposed to do for tone.  It sure hasn't proved itself in the strength department.  My Epi Pro IV neck is pretty much the same profile as my '65 and '77 Gibson 'birds and I'd bet the neck is stronger with the maple in the mix.  The fit and finish are excellent.  Could "Epi USA" pickups cost any less than Gibson USA to make? I can't come up with a good reason.  Why spend 3 times as much on a bass with the same pickups and (probably) quality for a Made in USA label?

I agree, this is a strange marketing move, it does cheapen the image of the USA 'Bird.  Better to call it a Gibson, charge $1000 and discontinue the current American TBird.  Then build a new American one with new pups, bridge, etc and charge $2000 for it.

There are still going to be a lot of Epi boltons sold, they're beginner basses at $249.  IMO the necks are horrible, wide and flat.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »

It's kind of a going rumour that they'll disco U.S. Birds........They'll go up in value.

They could of course revamp the U.S. one.....................

But we are talking about Gibson here  :rolleyes:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
  Gibson hates making (difficult tooling, labor intensive, expensive)  the Thunderbird or so I have been told. I think they would be glad to be rid of it. I agree if the USA Thunderbird disappears their value is going to go up.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

We forget that they are primarily a guitar maker........
It does cost more money to make basses and they make fewer of them.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
I think it's a dumb move for Gibson to have an Epi be that close to a T-bird.  And if they are that close to a Gibson, would that not entice some deviants to swap a truss rod cover and sell it as a gibson?  Especially the vintage burst?

And how much more is it to make a t-bird than some of that robotic crap they put out there? 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
It's kind of a going rumour that they'll disco U.S. Birds........They'll go up in value.

They could of course revamp the U.S. one.....................

But we are talking about Gibson here  :rolleyes:

What rumor? Some people on Talkbass? The same ones who said the Epi Elitist meant Gibson would discontinue the US Birds?

It's possible, of course, but the US Birds still sell so I can't see Gibson doing it.