Author Topic: (Mark buys a) Gibson Explorer reissue (for Uwe)  (Read 15347 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: (Mark buys a) Gibson Explorer reissue (for Uwe)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
Naw, I really like silverburst and I think it is just great on an Explorer shape, really accentuates it. I remember silverburst Iceman guitars and they were gorgeous too.

At the end of the day this is of course just a set neck TBird with better high register access and a 22 fret neck, but who cares?! That shape breathes and oozes pure, unadulterated rock'n'roll and Gibson (Ted McCarthy) invented it, not Ibanez, Alembic, Warwick, Dean or whoever. About time they lived up to it too. This is their best take on it by far, the late fifties stuff (short scale, with the Explorer headstock grafted onto an EB-2 neck), the eighties aberration (medium scale), my Custom Shop version (excellently made out of Korina and beautifully resonant, but who needs a short scale Explorer, that is about as fitting as a Mustang with a diesel engine) and the credible attempt Epi model (long scale, but let down a little by the pups) included.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
I hope this one doesn't let you down, soundwise.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »
I can't see that happening, this is a tried and trusted meat and potatoes combo, nothing can go wrong. If there is one company that knows how to cobble some maho planks, a three point bridge and TB Plus soap bars together, then it is located in Nashville. It's not like the Flying V shape and its inherent issues of not sounding right with a bass, the Explorer shape is great for a bass. JAE knew that.

The only gripe you can have with this model is that it's hardly something new or daring but an amalgam of  old recipes.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
 None here localy :( I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on one. Looks like they got it right I would have liked a mahogany finish with a pg though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:53:21 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
With a burst finish, I prefer it naked, but with unfinned wood - korina or maho - the pg gives it that vintage touch. It'll look great with my Epi silverburst TBird!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »
I just noticed that the pups are black but all the other hardware is chrome. HALF-BREED! FREAK!  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
Denis, sit down and stop disturbing class. We'll discuss this later. With your parents.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
The transition from the black to "silver"  looks far to clinical, imdo... just like a black binding effect gone seriously wrong...

Yeah, I know, moi with no coloursense whatsoever... but these are "shades", not colours...
I've always thought the Explorer shape looks best in a natural or solid colour - If I had the greens it would be trans-cherry and mahogany and gold hardware, maybe black, with chrome running in a poor third...

Now I've hacked everyone in the Chrome Dimension off I disappear again...  :vader: :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
Oh no! Now I need to drive to Frankfurt to shoot just this one bass.  :o :mrgreen:

....Held by the proud owner, once it has been appropriately test-driven by his much-respected test pilot!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »
All it needs is some white tape on the upper back bout with "EET FUK!" written on it and I'll be all over that like white on rice (and the bass as well).

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »
Mee likey sexplorerz ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Welcome back my Angelic comrade...!

I knew the Italians took August off on holiday but where's you bin hiding...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »
I think Uwe should buy 2 so one can be sanded down to see what's really underneath all that spray paint.  :P

This is a tough one.... Give me strength! I DON'T need another 4 string, I DON'T need another 4 string, I DON'T need another 4 string, I DON'T need another 4 string..... I'm about to sell 2.....

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Sell two buy one free (of guilt) ;D

A very masculine instrument with great pose-ability factor...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
The transition from the black to "silver"  looks far to clinical, imdo... just like a black binding effect gone seriously wrong...

IMO the "burst' looks like a photoshop job though I imagine it's not.  I'm not a fan of Silverburst but I like the bass.  No way they'd do it natural.  They'd have to select and match the wood for grain and it would cost a ton.  I'm guessing it's a 3 piece body.

I posted this elsewhere, it's from a 22" wide Honduras board that I own 12 more lineal feet of...anyone for a 1 piece natural ExplorerBird?