Author Topic: NAMM 2011: Return of the TB front jack? (And other things, but no chrome!!!)  (Read 14521 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

I have a beautiful heine.........................  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
No doubt you can adjust the three point to get low action, assuming the neck is set right etc. Still, I'll take a two point with separate tailpiece or a beefed up Fender style bridge-tailpiece combo anytime.

n!k

• View Profile

I'll make a case for better looking bridge on a T-bird on mine!

I have a degree in Bird Butchering at the God of Thunder School of Lutherie, after all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:51:52 PM by n!k »
Half-speed Hawkwind

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

That came out nice!

I don't recall seeing a pic of it all finished, nice work.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
That came out great, Nik!  I like the Warwick bridges, and it really fits the look nicely there.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Nice looking 'Bird, Nik... any of Scott inspirations are worthy of more than a glance... ;)

re the original posting - some folks dig black, some chrome, some gold... to each their own...

SOAD - love them, and their stance on promoting the memory of a certain political event is admirable...

If SOAD reform I hope they produce something a bit more akin to their first three and not the last "package" which lost some of their originality imho (ie I hope Tankian gets a fair crack of the writings)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Nice looking 'Bird, Nik... any of Scott inspirations are worthy of more than a glance... ;)

re the original posting - some folks dig black, some chrome, some gold... to each their own...

SOAD - love them, and their stance on promoting the memory of a certain political event is admirable...

If SOAD reform I hope they produce something a bit more akin to their first three and not the last "package" which lost some of their originality imho (ie I hope Tankian gets a fair crack of the writings)

That was was a perfect CD. The guitarist became an egomaniac and thus the band went downhill. When he started singing they jumped the shark.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
I can do nothing but agree...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I've got 6 or 7 of the 3 pointers and I've never had much trouble adjusting them.  I did try something different when I completed this carcass a while back and it worked out nicely too...............  Did someone say massive?  I think it contributes to the sustain and it's got a lot of adjustment flexibility.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

lowend1

• View Profile
I love the Supertone - got one on my EB-3. I'm planning some kind of T-Bird project - I may use one there as well.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
I am also fond of the Supertone, especially in CHROME  ;D
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I found this pic of a solitary black TB at NAMM 2011. Are my eyes deceiving me or has the front jack returned, but the pickguard and the center block gone? Or has the Shavo Signature model seen a release after all, now that System of Down are reconvening for some summer gigs? This certainly looks like some metalist had a say in the look. And has the front pup edged forward a little?

None of us noticed. We all should be ashamed of ourselves.  :-[ :-[ :-[ It only dawned on me now  :-\ after reading that the new TB Shortscale won't have a pg and is satin black. Look how comparatively short that bass is hanging there beside those toy instruments they call guitars.  :o Take a look at how deep the neck is set into the body: Not as deep as on a longscale, they have put it a fret or two farther out. And finally: I only noticed now how overall stubby that neck looks and how the bridge has edged forward into the body just a little.

So now we know: This is the shortscale TB. It's obviously aimed at the beginners and budget market (cheap fin, doesn't come with a case). Supposedly only a limited run of 400, but frankly I can't see this bass make commercial inroads with a lot of people.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:46:40 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I can't see any short scale bass making commercial inroads with a lot of people. I'm surprised the SG Bass has done as well as it has, although it's still a small market.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
If it is a limited run of 400 then that isn't a major commitment from a large guitar company IMO. Of course, you have to find:
 A) 400 people that want a short scale bass
 B) 400 people that want a shortie TBird. 

If the price is right, they will sell. Seems like there was more selling of the previous G.O.W. basses when the prices were reduced from their initial pricing.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
A chance to have a one of 400 short-scale T-Bird?

I'd be surprised if the whole inventory lasted a month.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."