Author Topic: Epi EB-3 Elitist ?  (Read 15593 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Epi EB-3 Elitist ?
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
Cool! The Mud Sisters

Mud Cousins... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
That is the most accurate and descriptive take on the respective strengths of the Elitist and the SG-RI that I have had the pleasure to devour. Love the wasp/bumblebee comparison - so apt! Excommunication proceedings herewith adjourned!

The Epi was a slow seller at the time, of course it was high-priced, but so  is the Casady Sig and that sells consistently well. The SG-RI, otoh, has become a staple product with Gibson so I think the approach of "modernizing it even more" was commercially sound. People play an SG-shaped bass for the look, legacy and the short scale, not for the varitone or a real mudbucker sound.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

we tigers

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:06 AM »
Droombolus' Elite EB-3 came into my possession a couple of months ago. Beautiful bass that really oozes quality. I've tried the EB-3 a couple of times in rehearsal, but somehow I can't get her to sound the way I want. The problem is that as a band we play in Eb and that is a bit of a challenge with the short scale. Too much mud. I'm afraid I'm too much of a Precision player...
I've put it up for sale on a Dutch bass forum, but if I could I would like to keep it. Anybody any advice on tweaking the sound?
I've tried turning down the bass and upping the mids and highs on my amp, but she's still lacking definition.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2012, 05:06:46 AM »
Welcome We Tigers!

As you have noticed the Mudbucker isn't exactly the kind of pickup you want when you're after definition in your sound.

I'd say try to lower the Mudbucker is deep as it it'll sink into the body and use both pickups. The bridge pickiup should provide you with a lot more definition and bite.

Also higly recommended to improve the tone of your bass is to use heavier gauge strings. The somewhat floppy E string tuned down half a step will benefit enormously. I've been using GHS 50-115 for years and have been a happy camper ever since.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2012, 05:19:34 AM »
Welcome aboard.  There are a couple of other things you can try.  First, LOWER the bass end. Anything under 100 hz can be suppressed a bit.  If you have the controls to do so, BOOST the low mids between about 125-250 hz.  Room ambience will pick up that low end.  If you need more bottom at that point, turn the volume up a little, not the bass.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2012, 05:27:07 AM »
Welcome We Tigers!

As you have noticed the Mudbucker isn't exactly the kind of pickup you want when you're after definition in your sound.

I'd say try to lower the Mudbucker is deep as it it'll sink into the body and use both pickups. The bridge pickiup should provide you with a lot more definition and bite.

Also higly recommended to improve the tone of your bass is to use heavier gauge strings. The somewhat floppy E string tuned down half a step will benefit enormously. I've been using GHS 50-115 for years and have been a happy camper ever since.

Welcome, I agree with all the above. I've always used 45-105s on my short scale basses for standard tuning.  Bridge pickup is key to getting a good sound.

we tigers

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys!
I'll alter the pick-up heights and try and tweak the amp as you suggested. We have another rehearsal tonight so that's an excellent opportunity. And I'll look into different strings.

I'm a big fan of flat wound strings on my Precisions, but I'll stick to rounds for the EB.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Don't lower the bridge pickup. You're gonna need that to bring in the definition.

Oh and try playing with your right hand more towards the bridge. That helps tremendously, without changing anything to your bass or amp.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
My experience with mudbuckers is that they are incredibly tight in a small, closed space.  You can feel your chest vibrate, but get into an open room and it all disappears.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

we tigers

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Despite the advice and me trying it out, the Elite EB-3 and me are not gonna work it out together. Last week I  even bought a new Precision (Classic 50's Fiesta Red) and instantly got the tone I had in my head. That means there's a hole in the budget and the Elite is going up for sale.

Beautifull bass, but not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
we tigers,

yeah i know about sending to and from the Netherlands. i forgot i have enough NOS, used or replacement parts and i make the varitone plates, to make a 60's or 70's period correct EB, and that is the reason i think i will pass on the Elitist, thank you for your offer. you should not have any problem selling it.

Bill
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW