Author Topic: Anyone in NYC for the Revolution?  (Read 14452 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in NYC for the Revolution?
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:35 AM »
"a budget impersonation of Apple CEO Steve Jobs introducing the iPad"

Ouch, and my thoughts exactly. I'm sure that is what Henry had in mind too, but he unfortunately (or fortunately) lacks Job's envangelist aura and his audience was not comprised of fervent zealots. Come to think of it, Henry probably would like to be the Apple of the instrument world, "different, but chic". But while Apple (and I'm no fan) is much about image too, they have a knack for presenting things that no one really missed, but a large part of the buying public will crave for after a while. They do that well. But the Firebird X is not an I-Phone or I-Pad. It's more like an umpteenth software update by Microsoft about which no one outside of computer circles ever gets excited.  

PS: My email crossed with Rob's, we obviously think alike! And why do shareholders of Gibson not complain? There are none. The company is wholly-owned by Henry and family. Or - given the more recent history of financial dire straits - by the creditor banks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:12:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
I liked the soft drink imagery.  But I would say Fender is Coke, and Gibson is Moxie.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
Fender is Coke... well... a slab P could be useful for some... :o

Equating drinks to products... that is an interesting

A 58-59 Les Paul, in the right hands, would be akin to a very fine wine, or maybe a classic malt... never served with ice... that would just be poluting perfection...

What would a Thunderbird be, or a perfect Jazz, or an Alembic, or a Rickenbacker...?

Could a Bachbird be a brash beaujolais...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »
I liked the soft drink imagery.  But I would say Fender is Coke, and Gibson is Moxie.

LOL! Because thinking about Henry leaves a bitter taste in your mouth?

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
I guess it is bitter, but in a good way.  I actually drink Moxie every so often, and kind of like it.  I have had enough of Henry J, and he leaves a bad taste. 
My thought is Fender is a large, streamlined, well-funded company - like Coca Cola Inc.  Gibson is like a 19th century thing your great grandfather liked, and that everyone is surprised is still around - like Moxie.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2010, 02:35:02 AM »
This here place is really great! Here one can learn about anything, from the brand of Superman's underwear to the more intricate parts of a T-bird p-up. And now to our latest example: The Moxie! Never heard about Moxie until I read your letter (doesn't that sound like a song title?), E.B. II.
So right away to Google. And now I'm in the know! One can't, as far as I know, buy Moxie in in the north of Europe, but I will check.
Me, myself, I just got a new favourite drink. While watching the fantastic Boardwalk empire on TV, in one episode some guy wants to have a glass of Pimms. Never heard of it. So I checked, and found a mixture based on gin and some other stuff. English of course, constructed some time in the 19th century. Supposedly goes well with 7 Up or Ginger ale, lemon, and ice. Perfect summer drink! But I can assure you, Pimms is jut fine, straight!
Where does this take us? To the bar, man! Please show me to the bar, as maracca man Jerome Green says in Story of Bo Diddley by The Animals at their hungriest. (If they were thirsty too, I'd advise them in the direction of Pimms.)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »
I've never heard of Moxie but Pimms, lemonade and believe it or not a slice of cucumber in it on  a hot day is absolutely incredible. Dont knock it till you try it.
Digresion our specialty!