Author Topic: Gibson IV Bass  (Read 16052 times)

barend

Re: Gibson IV Bass
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 02:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies and info chaps. I should perhaps clear up the story behind the photo. It's definitely not me holding the bass. The photo was taken by a bass-playing pro photographer who can call upon various nice young ladies to make his photos look rather splendid.

too bad it ain't you  :)...and the photographer did a great job...oeh la la...of course with an EB3 it would look even more splendid.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
At the time, it was Gibson's attempt to do a Gibson interpretation of a P-bass-type shape.  It might have sold well if they had actually promoted it.

One thing that hurts it IMO is the combination of pointy headstock with a traditional F type body. If it had a 4 in line headstock it would be more acceptable to the masses. Heck, I probably would have kept the one I had that was finished in Heather Poly from the factory.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
The low price makes it a great inexpensive bass for those who want one.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
Isn't it typical that nobody ever complains about other brands looking like a 7ender? But if Gibson makes a bass with a similar shape it's considered ugly or weird... (Which of course all 7ender shaped basses are. Let's be honest :mrgreen: )

Hutton

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »
I must be really weird. I like this bass a lot. I like the way it looks, sounds, and plays. There is no doubt that it is a good bass. If you don't like the look then that's ok. There are plenty other great basses without searching out the rare ones. I have been a P Bass player up until I got the IV and that's maybe why I like it. It feels so familiar and such a good compliment to my precisions. The headstock provides it with it's own character and look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
I really don't think it is offensive, just bland like a Honda- a great car/bass that does what it does well, but does not inspire or offend.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
I must be really weird. I like this bass a lot. I like the way it looks, sounds, and plays. There is no doubt that it is a good bass. If you don't like the look then that's ok. There are plenty other great basses without searching out the rare ones. I have been a P Bass player up until I got the IV and that's maybe why I like it. It feels so familiar and such a good compliment to my precisions. The headstock provides it with it's own character and look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Caught in the right light I thought mine looked pretty cool, the neck with the ebony fretboard was wonderful and it sounded different, but not in a bad way. The problem I had was I couldn't get the rest of the band to accept it over my MIJ Precision. After a few months of "we prefer the Fender" looks whenever I brought the IV out, I took the hint. However, I've had the same problem with every other bass I've tried to foist on them, including 3 varieties of Jazz, an Elitist EB3 and a Spector, so I can't really blame the IV.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
Well it's a good thing they're your bandmates and not mine. Nothing on earth sounds or looks more played-out than a P-bass and I can't say that I could be coerced to play one.
Half-speed Hawkwind

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Welcome!

I saw that post on TB, I *think* JZumbro may have this bass as well, hopefully he'll stop by and prove me right..........

As for you!..................  ;)

Good memory, Mark! I do have one. I'm the one who directed him to this site (under my TB moniker "Showdown").

Here it is, I finally found a TB Plus to replace the Bart bridge pickup in the picture, so it sounds like it was intended to now:

In my new band I've been using one of my '76 Tbirds as my main bass, with this one as backup.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:45:32 PM by JZumbro »

Hutton

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:47 AM »
Many thanks for directing me here JZumbro. This is obviously the right place to be for all things basswise.
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
I think IV/Vs are ugly as hell and I own three! But that doesn't make them bad basses nor a bad value for money investment. I prefer a well_sounding ugly to a bad-sounding beauty. And if you like your IV, so much the better
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »
I prefer a bad sounding beautifull bass to a good sounding bad looker. You won't see me with a boutique bass.

Rock 'n roll is just about posing ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
I prefer a bad sounding beautifull bass to a good sounding bad looker. You won't see me with a boutique bass.

Rock 'n roll is just about posing ;D

Like posing with a 4005 when you're really playing a Thunderbird.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »
I think IV/Vs are ugly as hell and I own three! But that doesn't make them bad basses nor a bad value for money investment. I prefer a well_sounding ugly to a bad-sounding beauty. And if you like your IV, so much the better

Come on, now. You have three of them. I'll bet you're just hiding your tats from us.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
Like posing with a 4005 when you're really playing a Thunderbird.

Yep. :mrgreen: