Author Topic: Gibson IV Bass  (Read 16057 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson IV Bass
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
Oops! I've just read the rules for the forum which states that there should be no pictures of girls with basses. Many apologies to the moderators but it's the only photo I have that shows the whole bass. The others showed different angles but not the whole thing. Not a very good start! :-[

Your photo is fine (in more ways than one  :mrgreen: ). The rule is referring to a "girls with basses" thread at another departed forum, it was nothing but an enormous bandwidth suck and wasn't about basses.

I'm sure Uwe will be along soon to say a lot more about the IVs. My take: the only reason they would be called a "poor man's T-bird" is because the resale today isn't as high. At the time, it was Gibson's attempt to do a Gibson interpretation of a P-bass-type shape.  It might have sold well if they had actually promoted it.

I'm not aware of Gibson ever publishing factory setup specs on basses.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

Tastefully photographed girls and basses..................All good  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »
Had the bespectacled young lass who graces the beginning of this lively thread been employed by Gibson in the late eighties to promote the IV/V (for the 5 string model) line, history might have been different ...

Alas!, 'twas not to be: In the words of its creator, Phil Jones (then junior luthier at Gibson and not to be mistaken with the amp designer), the IV/V was "Gibson's failed attempt to bring the TBird into the eighties after the failure of 'The Loser' " (less than respectful internal Gibson moniker for the Victory model which sold like lead by the mideighties). The TBird was a classic shape, but unergonomic to many bassists with bad upper register access, break-prone at the fragile neck-huge headstock transition zone and expensive to make due to the neck-thru construction. So Herr Jones, who despised the Victory as a "bad Fender knock-off, Gibson never got bolt-ons right", set about creating something modern, yet Gibsonesque, a return to mahogany tradition (as opposed to the many maple models Gibson had released since the late seventies up to the mid-eighties), set neck, ergonomic with added frets and affordable too. He thought. He didn't get much farther than headstock (a nod to Gibson tradition in the Grabber and Flying V vein and also stylishly "eighties") and mahogany, when the sales department intervened and demanded a shape which reminded of a Victory body drawn by a child (Jones was a fan of the LP Junior shape). Adding insult to injury, Henry J, then already Gibson CEO, demanded a 1.000 buck price tag to the bass which killed it commercially. It bombed, didn't last long and the end of 1987 saw the reissue of the real TBird in pretty much its classic shape (which made the concept of the IV/V redundant), albeit with a smaller headstock for better stability and balance. Both models incidentally used the same pups.

If you can get over the ugly "Fender larvae" body (I thought the less rounded Victory shape cool, but the IV/V shape is just anodyne and reeks of Fareast budget bass of the worst kind), the IV/V leaves you with a very ergonomic and comfortable playing experience, approximates a TBird sound (a TBird offers more sustain due to the neck thru construction, but the IV/V is no slouch in that department either as you will have undoubtedly noticed by now, also the pups used by the original IV/Vs and reissue TBirds called TB Plus pups have been consistently souped up over the years for more output, older ones have a tendency to be microphonic) and gives you a high E whereas a conventional Bird already has you struggling with a high C#!

While my IV did indeed have a price tag, it was second hand and bought in this millenium, factory set-ups had long vanished. From my experience (I have one IV and two five string Vs which have a slightly thicker and wider neck), IV/Vs can be set up with lower action than a TBird. The cavity for the truss rod nut tends to be a bit tight for full adjustment tool access, you might have to make a little room via scraping away some of the soft mahogany behind the adjustment nut with a screwdriver. The neck can be very straight with little relief.

Our freelance contributor and TBird collector, the honorable George Carlston, once described the IV/V as "a TBird, albeit in Clark Kent mode". That sums it up nicely.

Uwe (currently on business in England and now late for dinner due to your collective call to arms!)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:27:28 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hutton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
Well Uwe you certainly don't disappoint! You obviously have a well-justified reputation for having in-depth knowledge of the low end. Many thanks for the story of the IV!
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
That's just because no one gives a crap about Gibson eighties basses here! They all pretend to never have sported a mullet ...

Me, I recently even bought the remastered version of my then style icon's "Living in Oz" album! "We all need ... ".

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
As basses go its pretty good looking....at least to my eye.

But her black bra is nice too, they're more affordable and I have a nice collection  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:05:54 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »

They're not without their vocal fanbase!
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
Now where did that come from? A tattoed IV fan? The mind boggles.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »

n!k,

Your tat?

Awesome! :thumbsup:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
Even the saddles are set up to intonate!  :rimshot:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
As basses go its pretty good looking....at least to my eye.

But her black bra is nice too, they're more affordable and I have a nice collection  ;D

I always wondered ...  :-[, cup size?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Inquiring minds........

Normally I'm a nice girl but since it's you Uwe ( and you're a gentleman) I'm a 36 C. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Lifestyle Balance
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »
Contrary to your moniker here, that doesn't make you neck heavy then, Mark.  :popcorn:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »

No..........I'm shapely  :-X

Actually it helps counteract a Thunderbird's headstock, its all about proportion.  ;)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
wow a Victory and a Black Flag tatoo.this person rules
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES