Author Topic: Uwe = Bad influence!  (Read 14786 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Did I read that correctly?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
I think its to cover his "expenses"!  I use the optigrab to route the cord thru........and my pinkie floats above the bridge/strings, actually makes for a nice callous on its outside edge at the first joint. I think a black  :o ??? :o ??? :o ??? :o ??? bridge cover would be an interesting addition........

Fräulein Rommel's approaching, errrm, respectable age has her previous convictions grow feeble me thinks. Did she really write she wanted to add a black  :o, not chrome bridge cover? This is tantamount to heresy, our Chrome Angel turning into Black Adder. Next thing we know, she'll be playing in a Stryper tribute act advocating no sex pre-marriage.   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Uwe = Bad influence!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »

Oh no! I definately like CHROME better, make no mistake...........My rapidly approaching 50th isn't going to change that. I really think that bass would be stunningly beautiful with chrome hardware, and they'd likely sell more of them too (not that Gibson cares), that said I won't be changing out anything on this bass - it'll stay stock except a possible relocation/ of strap pins.
 And I'll continue to be the bad influence you all need.....nice to be the token "girl'  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
I'm not surprised. You wouldn't be paying extra for a special edition just to change it.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »
I'm still not quite sure whether he just rests his pinkie on the optigrab or actually even inserts it, thus "hooking up" with the TBird. ...But we need expert evidence: Herr Carlston come forth and enlighten us!!!

Before the optigrab, Nikki just hooked his pinkie under the edge of the bridge, which a three point allows fairly easily. With the optigrab, he does 'hook up'.

I guess he got tired of his pinkie slipping all the time, which you can see here.

Nikki's signature has remained fairly consistent over the years. Here's one I got after a gig at the Whisky on the day they 'released' their first album, Dec. 11, 1981 (Nikki's birthday as well):

I can't remember why I smeared my name out on this scan... I think I posted this once at some site where I wanted to remain anonymous...

As far as Tommy's drumming style, I guess he picked up some flair during his previous career as a ballet dancer:

Yes, that is him...  :mrgreen:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
while i've never really been into the Crue,i have to admit "kick start my heart" is such a great song!!!!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
I still have a hard time believe that my uncle's first band had Tommy Lee on drums before he got kicked out of that school like he did numerous times.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
HA!! Vince's hair is even MORE airbrushed on your copy than on mine. Mine is like the 3rd pressing or something like that.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
HA!! Vince's hair is even MORE airbrushed on your copy than on mine. Mine is like the 3rd pressing or something like that.

I was so embarrassed for him when I saw that! All those photos were airbrushed poorly, but that hair looked ridiculous.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 04:42:46 AM »
I hate to admit that I really do like that Nicki bass.  Then again, it's not often you see a really different TB from Gibson, so that's a lot of its allure.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 07:38:06 AM »
Before the optigrab, Nikki just hooked his pinkie under the edge of the bridge...

That's how I do it on my 'bird.  I tried to figure out the optigrab on a epi blackbird at the store once, and it was just uncomfortable.  To get it to work for me I would have had to rotate it about 90 degrees before it felt natural.  And even then I think I would just be more comfortable just tucking it under the bridge.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »

This is an old shot but it shows why I like bridge covers and have them on most of my 'Birds now. I seem to keep my pinkie extended and rest it on top of the bridge cover - a nice smooth surface, otherwise I'm dragging the outside edge of the same pinkie across the strings and saddles, which brings on a healthy callous and occasionally after a show some bleeding..........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
I think its a healthy thing that discussion has moved from anal sex to pinkies here.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »
We could combine the two with George's penis reflection snap shot?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »

"I think its a healthy thing that discussion has moved from anal sex to pinkies here."

:-\   The former is far more interesting than the latter, trust me!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
he's  quite a busy, even original drummer. Nothing Lee plays is especially complicated in the Billy Cobham school, but I like the way he plays in front of the music and his playing has humor and gung-ho panache which makes me like to listen to him.

Listening to the new album, I caught myself thinking a couple of times that Lee's drumming is the most idiosyncratic musical contribution to the Crüe sound. Sixx and that guitarist are competent players, but I wouldn't be able to pick them out. And Vince Neil is just Vince Neil.

Uwe

Yes! Never a big Crue fan, but I like the first two records. I always liked Lee's drumming. Dynamic, stylish(?), and fun....