Author Topic: Thunderbird shootout.  (Read 25158 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Thunderbird shootout.
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

I really did enjoy that scene in "Madmen" in which an Englishman decides to commit suicide via carbon monoxide inhalation using his brand new Jag....... Naturally it fails to start  :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »

I really did enjoy that scene in "Madmen" in which an Englishman decides to commit suicide via carbon monoxide inhalation using his brand new Jag....... Naturally it fails to start  :o

Perfect!

"Electronics by Lucas, Prince of Darkness."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
"Whereas all German cars had style. Like the Goggomobil and the Amphicar."

You try rebuilding your auto industry from scratch after you have just lost a WW and resources are tight!!!

My divorced wife still has the Jag E I gave her as a present on her 40th birthday - everything that has been written about the unreliability of these cars is bitterly true. It spends more time in the repair shop than a life sentence inmate in prison.

Having to rebuild the auto industry from scratch may be an excuse for reliability problems. It's not an excuse for ugly looking cars.

Dave Barry once said that we Americans admire the British even though they're not capable of building a car that can make it across a parking lot without needing a major overhaul.

My older son had a Jag XJ-12. Talk about a money pit. He was so happy to get rid of it!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
How about...

...as a great British aircraft design? That must take some beating?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »
+1 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »
That's cool, what is it?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:44 AM »
Its a De Havilland Mosquito, a Merlin-powered plywood wonder.  :mrgreen:

It seems like De Havilland really liked wood, as they build the cockpit pods of the Vampire jets out of wood as well. Poorly maintained examples tend to delaminate over time.  :rolleyes: This seems very much like classic British engineering, a good mix of stylish design and 'what the **** were they thinking'?

De Havilland also made the Sea Vixen, which has to be their most brutalist design as it looks, to me, like part flatfish and part spacecraft.

Back to T-birds, I saw a link to a 7-string Chinese monstrosity today;

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171881266163&globalID=EBAY-US

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2015, 03:12:21 AM »
Ah, a valiant attempt to bring this thread back on track. I'm quite sure Ritchie Blackmore would be impressed.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »
There is no credible record of Ritchie taking an interest in aircraft ever though he was a radio engineer at Heathrow before fate called.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know that the Mosquito is widely regarded as a beautiful plane - I am dumbfounded why this is so, I find it non-descript! Me no like its front nose/cockpit styling at all. As twin engine aircraft go, I prefer a P-38 Lightning any day, that thing at least looked like it was built for speed. 

And of course this ... here, my prize, the Black Widow, isn't she lovely?***

Bullish, ugly in a good way, deadly.

*** Who said this where?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:37:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:41 AM »
Stevie Wonder?  8)

I think the Charm of the Mosquito is those two massive props on the end of two massive nacelles. It looks like a bare-knuckle fighter with massive biceps or something. For a nicer cockpit.... how about the long-nose Bristol Blenheim/Fairchild Bolingbroke?

And for ugly...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »
Talkin' 'bout Little Stevie Wonder. Does anyone follows him on twitter? Hilarious. There are at least three similar ones.

https://twitter.com/itzsteviewonder

https://twitter.com/steeviwonder

https://twitter.com/liisteviewonder

Would love to fly an old Junkers once:

http://www.aerosieger.de/news/5577/junkers-ju-52-zu-gast-am-flughafen-stuttgart.html/

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »

Somebody's Sea Vixen model needs help - Crappy decal job! Only the English could put the canopy off to one side!  :rolleyes:

As English WWII aircraft go I think the Mossie was the best of the bunch, they flew over Germany with great confidence (until the appearance of the Me 262) daily/nightly, and I think it far more interesting than the much loved Spitfire. Spits got all the glory but were so short legged and frail, not the plane I'd want to fly at all.   
 Uwe, the P61 may have been a bit brutish but as I understand it, the plane was a superior aircraft everywhere it served, despite it's questionable aesthetic. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:28 AM »
"Stevie Wonder?"

Sigh! Here at 2:09 ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2015, 07:49:09 AM »

Somebody's Sea Vixen model needs help - Crappy decal job! Only the English could put the canopy off to one side!  :rolleyes:

As English WWII aircraft go I think the Mossie was the best of the bunch, they flew over Germany with great confidence (until the appearance of the Me 262) daily/nightly, and I think it far more interesting than the much loved Spitfire. Spits got all the glory but were so short legged and frail, not the plane I'd want to fly at all.   
 Uwe, the P61 may have been a bit brutish but as I understand it, the plane was a superior aircraft everywhere it served, despite it's questionable aesthetic.

I had no intention of knocking it, I really think it was one hell of a cool aircraft. And that turret looks like nothing you wanted to mess with!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
I think Slink slinked off with that mention of...

That's cool, what is it?

:mrgreen:

Sigh! Here at 2:09 ...

Surrounded by heathens, Sir... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...