Author Topic: Music videos that feature 20/20 basses  (Read 4750 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature 20/20 basses
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »
Don't worry too much about it Uwe. You're a rocker. You're into Deep Purple end Judas Priest. You don't need slapping.

And neither do 95% of the bass players who snap into slapping once they're trying out or demonstrating a bass. In a band situation it makes the bass into an obnoxious attention grabber, most of the time.

Not sure if I ever wanted to be compared to Ian Hill - somewhat limited choice of notes!!!  :mrgreen: I could never play in a band like Priest (or Rammstein whose music is similarly rigid in structure), I lack the discipline for that. I enjoy listening to it but it's like classical ballet - too many do's and don'ts if you are performimg it.

I'm fine with Roger Glover-, Glenn Hughes- and Nick Simper-comparisons, a little bit of each of them has trickled into my playing: Roger's metronomic sense of structure, Glenn's attack and penchant for playing flashy and Nick's choice of melody.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »
Yup.  IMO the only aspect of P-bass design that Leo got wrong was his assumption about the need for the tugbar. Darn few bass players use their thumbs to play.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »
A while back, a 20/20 sold with the leg rest missing. I think it went for about $2,000.00 surprisingly. The leg looks to be missing in this video. I surfed around, trying to find something on the bass I remembered seeing. I didn't find what I was looking for but instead found this..............

http://www.guitar-bass.net/private-collection/private-collection-bass-station-alpha/

Does anybody here know this guy, if not, we should..................
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »
Yup.  IMO the only aspect of P-bass design that Leo got wrong was his assumption about the need for the tugbar. Darn few bass players use their thumbs to play.

I've known a few, more who play with a thumb pick than with the thumb. And more probably did in the 50s. When I bought my EB-0L it came with two thumb picks in the case compartment.

FWIW, it tickles me that people use the term tugbar. No one I ever knew called it that. The term never appeared in any Fender instruction manual or parts list. It was always listed as finger rest back in the day (and as thumb rest in the early AVRI parts list). Yet some old Fender employee claimed in an article that they called it a tugbar and suddenly history is rewritten.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »
A while back, a 20/20 sold with the leg rest missing. I think it went for about $2,000.00 surprisingly. The leg looks to be missing in this video. I surfed around, trying to find something on the bass I remembered seeing. I didn't find what I was looking for but instead found this..............

http://www.guitar-bass.net/private-collection/private-collection-bass-station-alpha/

Does anybody here know this guy, if not, we should..................

An interesting collection, not just the obvious Gibson stuff ... rather Q-80, (Flying) "V"--Bass, (non-Flying) V Bass, 80ies Explorer, 20/20 - I will have to duel with this imposter!!!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »
Mr. Sumner has been using that old school thumb technique for the past decade or more. Great vid here, he really throws down some killer riffs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
That is admittedly pretty good - they still had it on that reunion tour. I always liked Sting's bass playing with Police (not so much on his solo stuff).

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
 Did he play bass on his solo stuff?  I stopped paying attention after Dream of the Blue Turtles, which was another bassist... Sting played rhythm guitar.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
Just to be fair, my '64 EB-0 also has a "finger rest" on the G-string side.

When I got it, the PO had moved it to the E side, but I moved it back...this is "before."

Perhaps Gibson was spying on Leo?   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Did he play bass on his solo stuff?  I stopped paying attention after Dream of the Blue Turtles, which was another bassist... Sting played rhythm guitar.

He did after the initial tour with those black cats/jazz guys where he played rhythm guitar which was a waste.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
Just to be fair, my '64 EB-0 also has a "finger rest" on the G-string side.

Perhaps Gibson was spying on Leo?   ;)

No doubt. Just because Gibson didn't emulate Fender body shapes doesn't mean they weren't paying attention!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
I doubt that there would have ever been an EB (1) if Leo hadn't opened the floodgates with his Precision.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
It's not that Gibson didn't think of it earlier...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Played horizontally, low register access was an issue on that one. I believe that would have hampered market saturation.