Author Topic: More mod collection basses. Tbirds too  (Read 8595 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: More mod collection basses. Tbirds too
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 06:08:21 AM »
They weigh about five pounds , and with older strings you get a nice old school thump

I had a 1960 shorthorn that lacked bottom end. With flats it sounded almost like a baritone.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 07:15:31 AM »
My Longhorn is a first gen Korean reissue from the Shinko Factory , it’s deep with ancient strings . Recently picked up a shortscale DC and it is much thinner , but I find it’s fattening up as the strings are getting older . So my hopes are high . I have a Dolphin nose , might be Chinese , I’m not sure , it has the LaBella Dano flats on it , and they are quite light , it’s thinner than the Longhorn . So the three I have all sound different .
When I first got the Longhorn it was twangy , and especially with a pick and soloed bridge pickup sounded like a baritone . Now the strings are about twenty four years old and all it does is thump . But it’s a nice deep woody old school one . I get that Joey Spampinato thing , I often use my thumb to get an upright sound .
I’d love to find a Jerry Jones Longhorn , but they’re pretty rare up here . A surprising number of roots and blues players around here have picked up Longhorns .
I’m partially to blame .

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2022, 01:55:39 PM »
There are still some Greco birds floating around this forum, right? I still have mine, though I don't play it very much anymore.
For whatever bizarre reason, it has the 3-point bridge with the 2-point tailpiece, not entirely unlike the NR at the start of this thread.

Does it make sense? No. Does it work fine? Sure.  Why did they do it? I have no idea.

At the end of the day, my favorite bridge out of the few Gibson (and clone) basses I've owned is still the one on my LPB-1, which I believe is a Schaller roller bridge. It's much easier to adjust than the 3-point, and works fine. I like easy-to-use functional bridges, and I think the purported differences in tone are exaggerated.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
The tailstop on a bass with a three point bridge does serve a purpose. It helps to keep the double windings off the bridge saddles.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »
The tailstop on a bass with a three point bridge does serve a purpose. It helps to keep the double windings off the bridge saddles.

That does make sense, but do you think that's why Greco did it? I wonder why they wouldn't just do a two-piece like the '60s ones and Epiphone VP. 

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 04:18:36 PM »
I like that sparkle DC ! There’s something about that popsicle stick bridge I love .
(they sound better)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »

A perfect, if aesthetically questionable solution to a problem that didn't exist in the first place which equates to "ugly without even a purpose". I've never ever had that winding issue with the three-point on a TBird and I use any brand of bass string I can get my hands on. Not on a properly intonated bass where it is unfathomable that all saddles would be snug towards the rear of the bridge.

Or do you all use only Rotosound Tru Bass sets on your Birds?  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:03:55 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
Back to the Mod Shop: I haven't paid that much attention to it, but aren't these basses really seconds that Gibson has rescued by putting something different on them? Some of the mods make no sense unless they're covering up a mistake.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2022, 11:37:09 PM »
That does make sense, but do you think that's why Greco did it? I wonder why they wouldn't just do a two-piece like the '60s ones and Epiphone VP.
I can't think of any other reason why Greco would have done that.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 02:59:04 AM »
Back to the Mod Shop: I haven't paid that much attention to it, but aren't these basses really seconds that Gibson has rescued by putting something different on them? Some of the mods make no sense unless they're covering up a mistake.

For sure, but they have some very cool stuff from time to time, especially the guitars. And it's a chance to own a one-off or a color you really like, and not buy the zillionth burst LP off the rack.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 04:42:06 AM »
And that mustard TBird in Ilan's pic gives ample evidence how ugly a chrome bridge can look in the wrong setting.

That said, I kinda like the idea that they are throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. And it gives us something to discuss to lighten up our usual topics.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 06:47:45 AM »
Imagine how captivating Victoria DeAngelis could be if she played a Gibson. Well only as captivating as A cups can be I suppose. Now if Carol Kaye or Suzi Quatro went on stage today with nothing but electrical tape on their nips, that would really be something.  :o
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »
I don’t think you really would want to be forced to look at that…😂

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 07:22:33 AM »
You guys are despicable, since when did I stop being an ameliorating influence on and role model to you? I'm your Administrator!

For the record: I don't know about Carol, but Fräulein Quatro wore nothing but a cotton underwear slip (70ies!) underneath her (allegedly kangaroo) leather jumpsuits. No bra.

I read that in a teen mag almost half a century ago, some things just stick. No make-up either, just an eyebrow pencil, it said.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:31:23 AM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2022, 07:37:22 AM »
Uwe is a great mod who inspires us too see no shame in the natural beauty of the human body and cheers to that.  :toast:
That Toyah Willcox isn't half bad for a woman in her 60s. Perhaps an inspiration to Victoria?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.