Author Topic: It takes a special kind of stupid...  (Read 15057 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: It takes a special kind of stupid...
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
I was struck by Gibson's refusal to issue guitars as seconds. That's silly, especially for a brand trying to distance itself from being a "status" company toward one geared more for the average player. Gibson's QC on their supposed "firsts" is pretty abominable sometimes anyway! My first bass was a Fender second bought new. I bought it because it was A. a Fender and B. I could afford it, something not possible had it not been a second. If Gibson wants to shed their "doctors and lawyers" image, selling seconds would be a great way to develop lower-income customers AND develop brand loyalty. I don't think I'll ever get that image of those Firebird X's being crushed out of my head.

They did used to sell seconds.  I had an acoustic guitar and I remember a friend had an electric 336 shaped something or other in the 60's.  They were stamped on the back of the headstock with either a 2 or a II to indicate status.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2019, 01:35:45 PM »
I know some brands who use seconds for artists. Perfectly good basses with a little ding or scratch. I think that's a win win. The artist as a great free/cheap bass with some minor flaws and of course won't complain. The factory gets rid of it easy,

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
Gibson sold seconds during the Norlin era, they were stamped with a 2. Whatever defect there was usually wasn't major and usually doesn't affect what the value is today.

Given my own experience with recent era Gibson firsts, and what I've seen online, I'd hate to take a close look at the ones they discard.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »
I actually just bought one of their less expensive acoustic guitars, and was amazed at the fit, finish and setup. Flawless.

Could the Montana factory have a different quality control system?

My last two Gibson electrics from Nashville, I think (one guitar, one bass) were not even close when they arrived, but with a serious setup were fine.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2019, 10:52:21 PM »
I actually just bought one of their less expensive acoustic guitars, and was amazed at the fit, finish and setup. Flawless.

Could the Montana factory have a different quality control system?

My last two Gibson electrics from Nashville, I think (one guitar, one bass) were not even close when they arrived, but with a serious setup were fine.

The Montana factory has a much better reputation for QC.

My last two were the SG Special Bass that separated and warped along the center seam, and the SG Standard Bass they sent me to replace it (since the Special had been discontinued). That one was better but the nitro hadn't cured and developed a lot of defects.  Good setups couldn't have helped either of those. At least I came out ahead on the deal.

Before that, there was the LP Special Bass I bought from American Musical back around 2005/2006, that one hadn't been routed or sanded properly and the finish looked like it had been thrown at the bass by monkeys. That one went back right away.

I won't buy new Gibsons anymore, not that I'm in the market now.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2019, 05:29:41 AM »
Am I crazy that I still want one of the new LP JR DC?

I'd probably wait for one to turn up used though.  The last new bass I bought was a Danelectro "hodad" that I think I paid $200 for around 2002.

There's so much playable used gear available nowadays I've never had trouble finding something I wanted!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2019, 06:41:14 AM »
I would like a Thunderbird someday...with new prices being what they are, it will definitely be used.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
Two of my current small stable were bought only slightly used, and at well below new price. You need to be patient but be ready to act when you see what you want at the right price.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
When I first became fascinated with cars, the two I wanted most were a Morgan 3 Wheeler and a Lotus Seven America. The downside was that everyone I knew who owned a British car spent most of their spare time working on them. Even the ones that were reliable needed to be fiddled with all the time.

For me it was a Triumph GT6, then an MGA, then a Spitfire, and MGB. In my experience you need to own at least 2 British sports cars. One to drive and one to work on.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »
For me it was a Triumph GT6, then an MGA, then a Spitfire, and MGB. In my experience you need to own at least 2 British sports cars. One to drive and one to work on.
And a baking sheet to catch the leaks.