Author Topic: It takes a special kind of stupid...  (Read 15132 times)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: It takes a special kind of stupid...
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
...and it's gone.

The original video posted to BJ's World has been pulled.

I suspect BJ was reminded about the non-disclosure agreements he (likely) signed but neglected to read while employed by Gibson.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:23:46 PM by BeeTL »

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
On another forum it has been mentioned there was no NDA.  Which is correct?

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »
Windows 98 software? :mrgreen:
Exploding tuners?

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
On another forum it has been mentioned there was no NDA.  Which is correct?

Pure speculation on my part, but most large companies have non-disclosure language in their employment and severance agreements.

In one of the videos, BJ indicated he took a severance package when Gibson closed its Memphis operations.

I suspect the original video and/or the subsequent interview may have violated a clause or two in that agreement.

Again, just a guess. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
It's Tennessee. Our employment law basically amounts to, 'How may we facilitate the exploitation of our citizenry?' ...which means, actual NDA or not (and there probably is not one), Gibson could have brought a very expensive suit against the uploader with the courts predisposed to siding with them.  I've seen the date of 2011 thrown around, yet heard this action as being described, takes place post-Henry, which makes it MUCH more recent. My money is that is IS recent, and Gibson once again bungles things by offering to donate guitars instead of just coming clean about it being a (legal) tax dodge. Whatever his business acumen, Gibson's new CEO clearly knows VERY little about PR. It may not be Henry's narcissism, but it's not Fender's monolithic indifference.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
If they were buy-backs from dealers, they were listed as material inventory and had to be destroyed to be claimed as a loss so they could be written off.

It would have been easy for Gibson to say that, yet they chose to give a bullshit explanation. Another PR blunder.

...and it's gone.

The original video posted to BJ's World has been pulled.

I suspect BJ was reminded about the non-disclosure agreements he (likely) signed but neglected to read while employed by Gibson.

The Guitologist video I posted in post #162 is still up, and most of the destruction can be seen in that one.

It's Tennessee. Our employment law basically amounts to, 'How may we facilitate the exploitation of our citizenry?' ...which means, actual NDA or not (and there probably is not one), Gibson could have brought a very expensive suit against the uploader with the courts predisposed to siding with them.  I've seen the date of 2011 thrown around, yet heard this action as being described, takes place post-Henry, which makes it MUCH more recent. My money is that is IS recent, and Gibson once again bungles things by offering to donate guitars instead of just coming clean about it being a (legal) tax dodge. Whatever his business acumen, Gibson's new CEO clearly knows VERY little about PR. It may not be Henry's narcissism, but it's not Fender's monolithic indifference.

In the Guitologist video, BJ was clear that it was post-Henry and that JC was already there (probably still during the Chapter 11, before he became CEO of the new company). I don't see how this could have been kept under wraps since 2011.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
I saw a new video today of ES guitars being broken in two and then fed through a bandsaw. I'm not sure if this was sent out by Gibson as a 'look guys, we trash factory seconds all the time', type deal.

In my opinion the Firebird X video was a publicity stunt that misfired (again!). The whole point would be to send home a strong message; the Henry J-era bullshit was getting crushed and Gibson were starting over. Unfortunately people don't really want to see Gibson trashing guitars most can't afford, even if the guitars are horrific.

I don't understand why the Firebird X even had to be so complex. From the demo videos they basically stuck the guts of an old Zoom 505 processor inside a fairly ugly guitar.

It sort of reminded me of the British aircraft industry. Great for pumping out propeller fighters and bombers during WW2, but totally unable to adapt and modernise following that, with the chief issue being ingrained attitudes in the workers and those at the top.

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
It sort of reminded me of the British aircraft industry. Great for pumping out propeller fighters and bombers during WW2, but totally unable to adapt and modernise...
Why did this come to mind.  :mrgreen:

https://www.morgan-motor.com

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »

Completely OT, but Morgan was bought by an Italian company earlier this year...such gorgeous cars IMO.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
r...such gorgeous cars IMO.
Yes, they are!  :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2019, 12:01:51 AM »
When I first became fascinated with cars, the two I wanted most were a Morgan 3 Wheeler and a Lotus Seven America. The downside was that everyone I knew who owned a British car spent most of their spare time working on them. Even the ones that were reliable needed to be fiddled with all the time.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
I was taken over by a Morgan 3-wheeler some weeks ago. Love 'm!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »
We have a new neighbor who showed up at the annual neighborhood car show with a gorgeous early 80's Morgan, in the inevitable deep British green. I drooled around it (not on it) appropriately.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2019, 01:06:30 PM »

Morgan are a wee bit like Heritage guitars I guess. Lower production run, lots of period techniques, no hurry to get them out the door?

Gibson seem not to know how to embrace a world driven increasingly by social media. Their behavior is bizarre and inappropriate.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
I was struck by Gibson's refusal to issue guitars as seconds. That's silly, especially for a brand trying to distance itself from being a "status" company toward one geared more for the average player. Gibson's QC on their supposed "firsts" is pretty abominable sometimes anyway! My first bass was a Fender second bought new. I bought it because it was A. a Fender and B. I could afford it, something not possible had it not been a second. If Gibson wants to shed their "doctors and lawyers" image, selling seconds would be a great way to develop lower-income customers AND develop brand loyalty. I don't think I'll ever get that image of those Firebird X's being crushed out of my head.