Author Topic: Battle of Britain day 09/15/2013  (Read 620 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Battle of Britain day 09/15/2013
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »

Today's the day. 73 years age the Luftwaffe launched it's largest day raid on London- considered the climax of the summer's actions over England.
I admire the courage of the men that flew the planes, the many women that served in the radar installations and of course the civilians that endured.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Battle of Britain day 09/15/2013
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
 As do I Mark. My grandfather was over there after the battle as a quartermaster with the US Army and brought back many stories. I read about it as a youth, Bader's Reach for the Sky plus so many other books. The movie released in '69 and countless models built glorifying the battle in youthful ignorance. So many lives lost, so many families shattered. Still to this day it makes one stand in awe of the bravery of those who served in the R.A.F. Let us not forget Bomber Command. Night after night with appalling odds of returning men hoisted themselves in to their aircraft.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:20:43 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Haphazard idea, ramshackle execution.

All those Luftwaffe bomber crews and fighter pilots shot down over or emergency landed in England at least had the luck of spending the war in British or Canadian POW camps - the five star version of POW camps. And it was the first time in WW II the Third Reich was dealt a bloody nose, the first of many to follow. The Blitzkrieg showed its inherent limits.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Yes, and as we've discussed there really was no way the Luftwaffe could have performed the task required ( it was a tactical air force, not strategic) of it. My thoughts were based in today, maybe it's just me, but I admire the stoicism and courage of the civilians - imagine U.S. cities being bombed by aircraft. I hardly think we'd  hold up as the English (and Europeans) did.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
A lot of brave people involved, regardless of who's perspective... worthy of being recalled...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...