Author Topic: Different black plastic pups ;)  (Read 1539 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Different black plastic pups ;)
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
Here's a variation on black plastic pups I hadn't seen........

It would be interesting to take one apart, that makes four variations in pick up design post '88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1987-GIBSON-BASS-IV-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-8-05K-FRONT-PICKUP-AW-/380653557569?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item58a0b85741#ht_323wt_655
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:24:59 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Different black plastic pups ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
What may be cool is to put those in some of those chrome/nickel covers!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
Never seen that! Vedy Interestink.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
Same seller has a mudbucker (without cover) at half the starting bid of this one. Wonder why he thinks this is so special?

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
That seller used to have an account on eBay under "rodsguitars" until he had a few snafus.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
Not had the opportunity to see the differences...

What is significant about this one...?

(nice new moniker, Mr Cooper... ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:02 AM »
Thanks! I thibk I had a set of these years and YEARS ago...in a n '86 Heather Poly Thunderbird bass...that I paid $600.00 for....then swapped out the pickups for Chandler's and made everything CHROME/NICKEL....wonder where that bass is now....WAS in Chicago....That was one of the basses that I had swapped for my Hamer 8 string T bird...that and a stripped '76......

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
There are times when your instrument collection has been somewhat akin to a revolving door... ;)

How's the general situation with you now...? work appeared in any decent guise...? hopefully yes...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Why is this special, anyway? How would you know it's different inside from the other variations?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
I DON'T know...but it has a metal base plate...which leads me to think so...but hey...who the hells knows with the inconsistencies Gibson is known for...
   As far as my gear...I don't have a job so my gear is at a stand still...1 1964T bird II and 2 1965  T Bird  II's and 1 1990 Hamer T bird 8 string....1976 Hiwatt 200 watt head with 2 SE4122 4x12-Full Stack and my trusty 1970's Gallien Krueger 400B with a 410T cab.

I do want to build a Korina Futura 4 string...all Korina..set neck..with a Vintage T bird Bridge and T bird pickups...someday..someday...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
It does say "Gibson Bass IV/Thunderbird." I wonder if this is actually a pickup taken from a 1987 Gibson IV and is not the same as a Thunderbird pickup.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1987-Gibson-Bass-IV-Bass-Guitar-Project-/230992488218?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c839a71a

He is also selling a stripped Bass IV body which is probably where the pickups came from.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:21 AM »
The steel plate on the bottom of original design TBird pickups is a big part of the sound because of what it does to the magnetic field and all the other EE stuff.  This might be a transition from alnico to ceramic magnet pickups.  I'd expect it to sound different from either all metal or all plastic covered pickups.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1987-Gibson-Bass-IV-Bass-Guitar-Project-/230992488218?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c839a71a

He is also selling a stripped Bass IV body which is probably where the pickups came from.

If that's the case, then this may not be a Thunderbird pickup. Yes, I know it looks like one, and in the past some of us have assumed the IV had Thunderbird pickups, but AFAIK Gibson's catalogs never said that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »
I was under the impression that the IVs/Vs and the reintroduced TBird had the same pups initially. Then the IV/V fell by the wayside and the TBird carried on getting eventually vamped up versions of the TB pup. To all intents and purposes the IV/V should be a modern ergonomic TBird at its outset (Phil Jones, who designed it, told me) it wouldn't have made sense to have consciously given it different pupps to what it should emulate.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...