Author Topic: Jerk sound guys  (Read 1033 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Jerk sound guys
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
Did a show last night that was booked at the last minute. This meant that our usual sound guy was already booked up. So we used a guy who was known by and recommended to our drummer because even our 2nd choice guy was unavailable. I shall call him Dude because the impression given by this name is the closest I can think of in terms of how he came across.

I can understand how a guy who is not used to a band can take a little while to get a mix together but apparently, according to experienced and trusted ears in the audience the FOH sound was very messy. The Crocs have a very tight and well balanced stage sound. Very simple and easy to mix in the eyes of most sound guys I know.

Even worse, Dude's stage mix not only made things hard to hear but caused a lot of distruption between us due to levels of all kinds fluctuating wildly. After the first set (of 3) I asked if he wanted a line out from me because the entire rest of the band was going through the PA and my amp, as loud as it is was struggling to cut through out front whilst being very loud onstage. He replied "...um....nahhh...sounds good out front man". At the end of the second set he came up and asked me for a line from my amp  :rolleyes:

The third set consisted of the LED's on my amp only just flickering on 1 bar due to the incredible amount of bass coming through one of the vocal wedges. I was impressed that the wedge could handle that level of output for so long but dismayed when we asked him to cut it out and that we only wanted vox in the wedges nothing else and he replied " Cant. Sorry man"

Why are these ar$eh0le5  allowed to exist?  :sad:

Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Jerk sound guys
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:07:47 AM »
A lot of sound guys are flopped musicians. They sucked so bad at playing bass or guitar they were dismissed behind the sound desk.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »
Let that be a lesson, Bret... plan ahead or the dude'll getcha...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
he needs to understand that you are employing him  professionally  so saying nah,cant is a good way to become unemployed.frustrating for sure.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »
Ken we are normally very organised. We have a great sound guy called Richard and a backup soundguy who is also an excellent musician in Roger (who also won 2 Golden Harps = Aussie harmonica championship title). But when you are doing fill ins for cancelled bands late notice becomes a problem.

We just expect that people who hire themselves professionally with their own decent quality PA's would have a clue. Sadly even after all these years we still haven't learnt.  :sad:

Tony: He certainly wont get hired by us again. And anyone else who we happen to talk to about sound guys.
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
I did a gig last November where we were the opening act, doesn't happen often. No sound check no line check nothing. I had a wedge in front of me and side fills to the right, The bass was so loud coming through the monitors that even with ear plugs in I was in PAIN.  First he says no he can't change it because that's how the other band wants it, I told him if that's the case then we are done. It turned into a shouting match, me onstage with our singer holding me back, him at the sound board. I swear I have never been closer to pounding someone. I ended up out of frustration throwing my bass at him (a Fender).Then he decided to cooperate. I had never been so frustrated in my life. Every note I played caused pain and there was no way to escape, it was like I was being assaulted by my own instrument.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:26:32 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:50:23 PM »
 :o

ps Scott... they're doing a "head count" over at the VA and would appreciated another pic of your rig...  ;)

Bret... def the way to do it - hit 'im in the pocket - a "good word" does more damage than anything I know to a reputation...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
HE'll never work in this town agin!   ..if only.... :-\
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:37 AM »
:o

ps Scott... they're doing a "head count" over at the VA and would appreciated another pic of your rig...  ;)

Bret... def the way to do it - hit 'im in the pocket - a "good word" does more damage than anything I know to a reputation...
  Here you go Kenny !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird