Author Topic: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration  (Read 14430 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
I just downloaded all the available Rockpile stuff from Spotify, 'Crawlin through the Wreckage' is currently stuck in mine.

Yeah, I loved that one too.  I dinked around on net last night trying to figure out what happened between Lowe and Edmunds - I did find one thing, not confirmed, that mentioned that Lowe admitted most of it was his fault to the drugs and alcohol abuse.  If anyone has any info I'd like to hear it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
I'd heard a major reason for the split was Dave Edmunds wife in the family way and due to produce his first child so he wanted more family time...

There is a "Live at Montreux" recording available as a legit release but there are a variety of share files around...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

There is a "Live at Montreux" recording available as a legit release but there are a variety of share files around...

I've been listening to it, legally (and free), on Spotify lately as well as other Rockpile stuff, some great Everly duets between Nick and Dave.  This AM I listened to Quadrophenia as I set up the latest JAEbird.  I still only have that on vinyl, gets a little dusty in the shop for a turntable...if I still owned a working one.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
My daughter haunts that site too, Carlo...

Out of my brain on the train...! :toast:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
My daughter haunts that site too, Carlo...

Out of my brain on the train...! :toast:

I turned MY daughter on to it a few weeks ago...it's great to think of something you want to hear, walk over to the computer and in a minute or so you've found it and it's playing.

The guy who is getting the JAEbird owns a 'The Who' HiWatt and some of Townshend's ex guitars, says he's practicing 'The Real Me' in anticipation of its arrival.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
Nice...!

My daughter pointed ME in that direction...

I'm seriously tempted to get a USB deck for my wife (read me here) so she can go through her old country stuff - I converted a load of her early Loretta Lynn stuff as they are just not available and she has a stack of other obscure items...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
Good idea, buy a used one, transfer everything and resell it, along with the vinyl ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
Nice...!

My daughter pointed ME in that direction...

I'm seriously tempted to get a USB deck for my wife (read me here) so she can go through her old country stuff - I converted a load of her early Loretta Lynn stuff as they are just not available and she has a stack of other obscure items...

If you already have a good turntable with a magnetic cartridge, you just need a good interface.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:09 AM »
If you already have a good turntable with a magnetic cartridge, you just need a good interface.

I have one of these, I'm guessing it might do the trick
Behringer UCA202
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »
Behringer UCA202

That looks like a great idea - and if it's priced like most of their gear, it will be worth trying. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »

My deck was an old (UK built) beastie when we moved here in '92, so...
I had a Creative midi interface some years back but it didn't work post WIN98 (I did say a few years) which is still sitting aside for a midi project I have at the back of the list - nice simple midi interface kit that fit within a DVD/CDROM bay with RCA sockets too

Good idea, buy a used one, transfer everything and resell it, along with the vinyl ;D

Behringer UCA202

That might work and the (UK) price is reasonable but there are just some pieces of vinyl I would have a problem parting with... :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
The Behringer UCA202 doesn't have a phono preamp, which is not a problem if you have a separate one or your (older) receiver has one. Otherwise either you need a newer turntable with built-in preamp or something like the Behringer UFO202 or Tascam US-100 which have switchable phono inputs.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
This is part of the reason I have thought about the USB option as they roll in at around the £50 mark... I've never been what you would call a "buff" when it comes to hifi, hence my love of the MP3 format - the portability and the convenience far outweighs any other issues...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
like good sound..... ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »
 :P

(70mph in a Merc Vito is my sound environment, with aircon - aka "wind the window down and drive faster") ;D