Author Topic: It seems magazines have run out of rock stars to put on their covers  (Read 3810 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: It seems magazines have run out of rock stars to put on their covers
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
I liked Baz's comment better, where'd it go?

Censored for bigotry. Even if Tsarnaev were an Arab -- which he's not -- we aren't going to allow derogatory terms.

Anyway, I'm not offended by what RS publishes, haven't read it for years except when someone links to a particular story I find interesting. They've always been opportunistic. And Uwe is right that notoriety has always sold. OTOH when you publish something controversial, you have to accept that anyone has the right not to buy it or carry it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
No such thing as bad publicity, nothing more than RS trying to flog it's irelevent magazine. In extremely poor taste none the less.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
Regardless of what the topic is about, whether it's the one on General McChrystal or something like the current issue, I find it hard to take Rolling Stone seriously as anything other than a pop culture publication.  That's just my view on the matter and they could prove me wrong.  But it's very doubtful they'll ever have anything on the level of George Kennan's 1947 Mr. X article in Foreign Affairs or anything even remotely comparable.  For hard-core views on political topics or other matters there are other places to go to rather than Rolling Stone.  There was a time when I would gladly turn to it to get interesting info on music, but they now fail at that, too. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:53:05 PM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »
at the moment matt taibbi is the one saving grace for that rag.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »
Wow. So you label Me a bigot because I Love  America and Hate Rolling Stone Glorifying Terrorists??? Who's the intolerant one here??? As long as it fits in with your view, it's ok, but if someone else has a difference of opinion, such as I, you put a label of bigotry. WOW. The Last Bass Outpost has Censorship. No FREEDOM OF SPEECH Here. I'm sorry, but when One of your loved ones dies in the twin towers, 9-11, you change your opinion about Jihadists. Okay, go ahead and censor me again.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »
Wow. So you label Me a bigot because I Love  America and Hate Rolling Stone Glorifying Terrorists??? Who's the intolerant one here??? As long as it fits in with your view, it's ok, but if someone else has a difference of opinion, such as I, you put a label of bigotry. WOW. The Last Bass Outpost has Censorship. No FREEDOM OF SPEECH Here. I'm sorry, but when One of your loved ones dies in the twin towers, 9-11, you change your opinion about Jihadists. Okay, go ahead and censor me again.

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else. You're entitled to think that RS is glorifying a terrorist. You are NOT entitled to use a racially derogatory term toward Arabs on this forum, any more than if you used a racially derogatory term toward a black American or an Asian. That's bigotry and we won't allow it.

Also, you phrased it in a way that implied that Arab = Muslim = terrorist. That's obnoxious at best, and it's an attempt to turn this into a political and religious thread, which you've continued in your latest post. And all this about a man who is a Chechen, not an Arab.

We've had our say and expressed our various viewpoints. Thread closed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:32:23 AM by Dave W »