Author Topic: Vanilla Fudge  (Read 5042 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Vanilla Fudge
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »

After saying in a thread the other day that this studio version of "Shotgun" by the Vanilla Fudge was almost impossible to find, I ran across this almost by accident.  The music may no longer be considered au courant.  However, Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice are awesome as far as I'm concerned. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Fudge
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
And by the imposters' own admission, they were the blueprint for Deep Purple.

I know it's uncool to like Vanilla Fudge, but I always did and continue too. Hey, I even liked Cactus and Beck, Bogert & Appice!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
I listened to that album every day after coming home from high school...every day.  It has a live side two...awesome.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »

I know it's uncool to like Vanilla Fudge
Since when would that be?

I think that Vanilla Fudge is so obscure these days that far too few people care to have an opinion about them.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
not over here. that live lp is a good one.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »

After saying in a thread the other day that this studio version of "Shotgun" by the Vanilla Fudge was almost impossible to find, I ran across this almost by accident.  The music may no longer be considered au courant.  However, Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice are awesome as far as I'm concerned. 

One of my best friends knows Timmy and Carmine since the Cactus days so i have gotten to know them fairly well.  About 12 years or so ago they released a "new" version of the vanilla fudge album with the girl on the cover and we got to play the cd release party and hung out with them and they played a little with us.  stayed friends with the keyboard player named bill Pascal who was with them at the time....  Carmine is so cool and true rockstar.  Timmy has issues,  always has.  Just a great bass player who can't get along with people,  especially guitar players. About 10 years or so the fudge where playing BB kIngs in NYC and Timmy got sick and i got the call to be on standby.  Then TM Stevens  was tracked down thank god as filling Tim's shoes is a scary spot.   As a bass player they are top 2 or 3 rhythm sections ever for me but i can understand tp some degree why guitarists have issues  but thats mainly because if they had realtime they would be bass players anyway.... :-)
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Wow.  I probably haven't heard that song in 40 years.
Brings me back to the days of corded phones, black and white TV and taping pennies to the top of the needle arm.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
The original version came out exactly 100 years after the end of the Civil War.  The Vanilla Fudge version was released only a few years after that.  When looked at within that context, it does make me realize just how old this really is (the Jr. Walker and Vanilla Fudge versions.)

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
Hey, I even liked Cactus and Beck, Bogert & Appice!

Wow. I haven't heard mention of "Cactus" in decades. I got to see them live at an festival here in Missouri back in '74. I enjoyed their show!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
A few years ago when MySpace was still hot I got in touch with Jimmy Kunes.
He's a nice chap. And he's the lead singer of the reunited Cactus

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
Wow. I haven't heard mention of "Cactus" in decades. I got to see them live at an festival here in Missouri back in '74. I enjoyed their show!

They were never cool, even uncooler than Foghat, but this version of Long Tall Sally sure is!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »
Since when would that be?

I think that Vanilla Fudge is so obscure these days that far too few people care to have an opinion about them.

Back in the day already. Their concept of slowed down grooves, lava-thick instrumentation and extended jams (emulated by bands such as Iron Butterfly, Bloodrock, Grand Funk Railroad) wore thin with rock critics pretty quickly - The Velvet Underground they weren't even if they probably sold more records and could deliver better live. Vanilla Fudge suffered for "only playing covers" and not having a "charismatic frontman".

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
Led Zeppelin opened up for Vanilla Fudge in 1968 or 1969.  Also, I noticed that Vanilla Fudge did an album of Zep covers in 2009 (Out Through the Door.)  I would be interested in listening to that sometime.  I'm not really sure which Fudge members are on this album. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
Original lineup...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...