Author Topic: AVATAR in 3D!!!  (Read 7986 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: AVATAR in 3D!!!
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 04:55:40 AM »
I stopped watching Disney when Walt Disney died.

Come on, Phil Collins did his best work for Disney

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »
I stopped watching Disney when Walt Disney died.

How about PIXAR...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »
How about PIXAR...?

Thats just a merger, I would not consider them Disney (although they own them). They still are a seperate studio yes?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »
Sort of, but I noticed on the credits for "Bolt" (which was quite a good film) that the exec prod was John Lasseter... I believe that PIXAR is more than "owned" by Disney, more of a "backdoor" partnership, to keep then in the herd - a lot of "cross-polination" going on, too...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
Pixar was acquired outright by Disney, no question about it. This was after they had already partnered on some projects.

I have never seen a Pixar movie.

I haven't heard anything Phil Collins did for Disney. I will admit to having heard Phil Collins sing, but I try not to dwell on that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:54 AM »
I'll help your memory, Dave,count with me, one, two, three, four, "sheeze an eezzee luva"! See, that didn't hurt too much, did it?

I know the Tarzan song Phil did too, want me to whistle it to you? ! - )
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »
No thanks. Can't you see, this is a land of confusion?

I just put on some old country music to cleanse Phil Collins from my memory.  :P

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
Just put on Junior Brown in my office here...music to do taxes by...

Hornisse

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »

:mrgreen: :o ??? :sad: :rolleyes: :puke: :bored:

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
Sort of, but I noticed on the credits for "Bolt" (which was quite a good film) that the exec prod was John Lasseter... I believe that PIXAR is more than "owned" by Disney, more of a "backdoor" partnership, to keep then in the herd - a lot of "cross-polination" going on, too...
That is because Lasseter now Chief Creative Officer of Disney Animation and Pixar. It was part of the deal when Pixar was bought. Lasseter is also Principle Creative Adviser to Walt Disney Imagineering which designs and builds the Disney theme parks. The deal also put President of Pixar Edwin Catmull as President of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Failure to research, yet again... I'll go stand in the corner...  :sad:

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »
Avatar won Golden Globes for Best Movie & Best Director!! Coool

It's taken in 1.6 billion already tooo

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »
My wife and I went last night - really enjoyed it  There was more plot than I expected, and it was a story well told.  I didn't even get too bad a headache from the 3-D glasses.

I've never liked the way my eyes and brain respond to 3-D glasses.  If 3-D TV catches on, I won't be buying one.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 04:52:06 AM »
I felt a little dissoriented after the movie, visually. My wife has a weak eye so 3-D view is difficult & gives her headaches. I could feel the eye strain till my eyes adjusted to it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2010, 04:02:25 AM »
I finally saw it and was thoroughly entertained.

It's a naive, seventies-style puristic eco fairytale, noble savages and all, and the similarities to Pochahontas (the Disney version) are in places to the point of plagiarism. But it does captivate you by sucking you into this lovingly created rainforest paradise. In places, watching the film is like looking at a very detailed huge painting and finding new things to marvel about with every new glance. Edith hates animation and is bored by any kind of SciFi or Fantasy film (unless her favorite hunk Keanu Reeves is in it!), I had to drag her to go, but she marvelled at the rainforest world throughout and whispered how beautiful it was.

With very few exceptions the 3D effects are used - dare I say it - tastefully and more to create an image of depth for the rainforest than for sheer surprise (Disney's Christman Carol was much more guilty of that). It didn't bother me, but I don't think it is what makes the film special, it's the work that has gone into the forest and animal animation. I liken the film to the first Jurassic Park which set standards at the time how dinosaurs have to look on the screen - the story was dumb, the T. Rex amazing.

There are cineastic nods to the past aplenty - the bad army grunt has a mug of coffee while the rainforest is napalmed to ashes, but he doesn't wear a cowboy hat like Robert Duval did in Apocalypse Now and doesn't comment on "the smell of napalm in the morning". Sigourney Weaver does her lesbian role model Ripley acting again with a good dose of her portrayal of Dian Fossey in Gorillas in the Mist thrown in. The robots and battleships quote Terminator and Star Wars, the rainforest predators the Alien  monster or the Predator one, the planteaters the hammerhead shark pirate in Pirates of the Carribean etc. And anybody who saw Abyss will notice that Cameron's concept of underwater worlds isn't so much different from how he envisages a rainforest.

The plot? Utterly predictable with no surprise twists whatsoever, you can easily pick out the good, the bad and the not quite so bad ones which turn good after all. But it never turns so offensively bad to get in the way of the beauty of the pictures. In a  way, this is a nature flic like Disney's classic The Living Desert.

Now all I need is a 10 foot woman with blue skin and a guttural accent! And a tail. (That was a big letdown, how neither their tail ends - his child audience in mind, Cameron obviously shunned away from using these for "neural connecting" because of the overtly sexual connotation - nor their plaited pigtails were used in the one and only very light sex scene - very similar to the one in Pochahontas - for some of that kinky neural networking they would otherwise do with trees, horses or their flight dragons!)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:11:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...