Author Topic: New Fat-Bottomed Arrival (making the dirty dozen full!)  (Read 14285 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: New Fat-Bottomed Arrival (making the dirty dozen full!)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »
Envy is a terrible fin, or something like that...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »

Honestly, you should collect for finishes too..................

;)

i'll bet your the type of guy that would do "interesting" things with a cattle prod... ;)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
They are not very good about their history at all.

Thankfully we have approachable characters like Walter Carter.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »
Three Fenders (MIM J 60ies RI, Sting, 80ies P 60ies RI Fretless) and two EBMMs (HH Bongo and Piezo Stingray) as well as 40-50 other brand specimen, with my six Ibanez Iceman basses and my five Rics (4001, 4003, 4003S/5, 4003S/8 and 4005) probably the closest to "collecting" anything other than Gibson.

And your Gene Simmons Punisher. Not only collectable but a bargain compared to what he asks now for signed ones.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:44 AM »
That's not really collecting to me, I was just interested in that bass just as I was interested in a Wal or a Höfner 500/1. The Punisher, to all intents and purposes, could be a Gibson bass though, Gene's inspiration for it is palpable.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:31 AM »
Damn. i shoulda gone to law school. >:(
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
The new April issue of Guitar and Bass Magazine (UK) has a Ripper II review. Haven't read it yet, but I'll come back to it!

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
Wow! I am getting in love with these fat bottom gir.. basses! I have only a modest collection of Gibson basses (3 out of 19) plus one Bachbird, but I am trying to put together a Grabber. Up to now I have a neck, a sliding plate and a pickguard (travelling from US) and looking for other parts!
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
I'm working on getting a "Gibson" collection together but most of mine will be Faux-Gibsons as they made very few lefties. I've only seen a few Gibson EB series basses that were lefty. I'll just have to make them myself or have some custom built or pick up the occasional "third party" imitations like the BaCH or Japanese copies. I don't have any problem with that. :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Hornisse

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »

Looking at Uwe's "extra" fat bottomed girl, I noticed that there were differences in even the earliest Ripper bodies.  The one I saw at Austin Vintage Guitars years ago looked extra "fat" and this is because the lack of front contour on the body at the lower section.  You can see in the photo's comparing the 2 basses.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
Yes, they were obviously experimenting with the shape.

And history repeated itself:

Left to right: original Gibson "big body" Ripper, Epi Prototype and Epi Series Ripper:

In detail:

Gibson original

Epi bevelled away for the prototype:

But then thought better of it and released the series model more in the initial Gibson shape, in fact the Epi body is even a little larger!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
I had my 73 Ripper, the 81 model, the 2009 Ripper II and the Epi Ltd Ed GRipp3r with me at last night's rehearsal.

Some observations:

- The 81 model sounds deepest, probably due to the heavy and massive maple used on the body, it has less midrange than the others, but a real threatening ooomph, a really dense tone, you could play heavy metal with it.

- The 73 maple board alder big body one has the most wooden tone, midrange is prominent, but the tone doesn't have the 81 model's "weight".

- The Epi has no doubt the most cut and bite of all four, and not in a nasty, cheap way either. That Fenderish split coil - why am I even writing this?  :-[ - does sound excellent and authoritative. But what the bolt-on giveth in attack, snap and presence in the nether regions, it, alas!, doth taketh away once you are beyond the 12th fret, no comparioson to the sustain of the set neck Gibbies then. Not really relevant for someone who tends to stay low, but always a bit disheartening for me, I'm a high register sustain addict, hence my love for neck-thru TBirds.

- Surprisingly, the 2009 Ripper II is the blurriest of them all (I could finally play it loud at yesterday's rehearsal cause the drummer was there and we had beefed up the pa for the vocs by adding another two active cabs) and even lacks a little attack in comparison to the older Rippers. It does have the most sustain though - sustain to an extent that some of you might find it perhaps a bit much. Those high register notes really elbow their way through. I haven't mentioned so far that both pups are quite a bit closer to the neck on the Ripper II than on the Ripper Is of various eras. I also have to correct my statement that the two varitone positions that offer one coil from the bridge pup combined with one coil from the neck pup don't really sound that different. Over a large rig, the difference is stark and that slightly scooped sound makes sense as it broadens the tone without cluttering things.

Uwe
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:45:35 AM by uwe »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 04:47:22 AM »
I have seen a couple bands lately with new Grabbers, the guy on American Idol band'd ex winner bassist had one. The singer had a killer upside down Firebird that had the knobs switched over but that was it. I could not watch much of it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 05:16:57 AM »
Didn't they want to bring the Grabber out as a series model?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »
I just saw MUSE, and Chris Wolstenholme played a Grabber on a couple of tunes.