Author Topic: New Fat-Bottomed Arrival (making the dirty dozen full!)  (Read 14282 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
New Fat-Bottomed Arrival (making the dirty dozen full!)
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
Ze Ripper II (I really do need to clean up my office more, Mark would you be my rubber chamber maid?  :mrgreen: ):

Pups look just like in the days of yore:

Another reassuringly familiar sight, ze völüte:

Huh, unfamiliar? Natural maple body, yet no maple board?! But Comrade Ernesto's benevolent gaze says all is well ...

It will join ze herd, row of honor of the fat-bottomed girls:

In twos, meine Herren, Grabber Blue and Grabber II (it rhymes!):

Grabber Fretless (most likely aftermarket mod, the fin certainly isn't a Gibson one, sounds like a million bucks though) and old style, big body Ripper (rescued from verdisgris after a prolonged cellar stay with the pre-owner):

Eighties Ripper and mid-seventies fretless Ripper with alder body (the more observant of you will notice that the fretboard was extended to double octave length and the cutaway henceforth deepened, all done so tastefully I never even noticed until I had bought the thing!):

Two G-3s, seventies and eighties ultimate run version with ebony board:

Ze Gödfäther of all Rippers, a prototype, plus two Epi Ltd Ed GRipp3rs in the back, left is prototype with sleeker bevelling, right is series model, the end result looks rather like the very first Rippers, perhaps intentionally so, perhaps because less bevelling is less cost:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:36:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: New Fat-Bottomed Arrival (making the dirty dozen full!)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »
It must be true what they say, "They make the rockin' world go round."
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

This expression says it all.....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
Glad ya like it Uwe ! I checked one out locally, Very well made and pretty true to the original unlike the Grabber II.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »
Never let law books and legal papers get in the way of your basses.

You have enough for a separate fat bottomed room. Better talk to the building management people.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »

That's it...........

I'm packing my best Maid's out, black lined stockings and heels. Frankfurt, here I come  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
I didn't even yet say I liked it!!!  :mrgreen: Not sure. It's lovingly made (perfect fret job unlike the Grabber II) and has lots of tasteful sound options (more of that later), but at the rehearsal yesterday it was just that, "very tasteful" and "well-behaved", and I missed the ballsy "take no prisoners"-raunch of the Grabber II.  Have to play it some more, but it might be one of those "gosh, this sounds nice (in the living room)" instruments as opposed to a rehearsal weapon of choice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:05:26 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
Never let law books and legal papers get in the way of your basses.

You have enough for a separate fat bottomed room. Better talk to the building management people.

Do not jest, Dave, they already have me cross-haired for an "undue amount of fire loads in the office". I'm fighting a losing battle!!! Every few months some stern-faced fire, life, safety-inspector drops by and makes me aware of the illegal state I work in.  :-\

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
Looks nice, congratulations on an even dozen!
I like how they used the old mounting style pups on the Ripper IIs rather than the later 3-screw mounting types. That's how I found out Seymour Duncan makes drop in replacements.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
Wow....just......wow!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
Gibson's blurb about the six Seymour Duncan engineered varitone settings of the Ripper II:

"Tonal Control
The new six-position selector knob lets you dial in six very different tone selections. In position one you get the bridge pickup only. Position two gives you the second coil of the neck pickup and the first coil of the bridge pickup. Position three delivers the first coil of the bridge pickup. Position four dials in the second coil of the neck pickup. Position five gives you the first coil of the neck pickup and the second coil of the bridge pickup. And the sixth position gives you only the neck pickup. That’s six distinct choices – each one a clear and well-defined tone all its own."

In reality, all six options have unsurprisingly one tonal base character, there are no radical changes here, but it's all audible, though Pos 2 and 5 are VERY similar:

Pos 1 - bridge in humbucking mode, not too thin though I'm generally not a friend of just bridge pup mode, Jaco left no lasting imprint on me
Pos 2 - a single coil from each pup, as you would imagine given the spread of the two coils (that is one gigantic humbucking pup this pos creates) quite a bit of midrange cancelling out and "hollowing" of sound, similar to Pos 5 which has bit more depth
Pos 3 - bridge in single coil mode and true single coil it is as the humming of my Ampeg can testify!  :mrgreen: not such a huge difference to Pos 1 really, but audible, sounds a bit more vintage
Pos 4 - neck in single coil mode, as above not such a huge sound difference to the humbucking mode in Pos 6, but a very typical Ripper sound
Pos 5 - a single coil from each pup, but this time even farther apart than in Pos 2, just slightly bassier than what Pos 2 offers
Pos 6 - neck pup in humbucking mode, see comments to Pos 4, deep guttural Ripper sound

In essence, whatever Seymour Duncan has done pretty closely resembles the character of the old Ripper varitone set up without aping it. My Ripper II is about as loud as my 73 big body maple board Ripper, but not quite as loud and deep as my 81 ebony Ripper.

Gibson took a different course on this reissue than to what it has done before, the Ripper II is closer to a Ripper I in sound than a modern day TBird would be to a Bicentennial or sixties model. And, in comparison, the Grabber II is to an original Grabber what The Incredible Hulk is to Bruce Banner. I think I prefer the latter approach, perhaps I'm just hooked on that TB Plus sound!

Uwe

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:12:03 PM by uwe »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
And I thought the RD was complicated!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Congratulations to yet another completion Uwe. I've stopped counting the times my jaw hit the desk.

They really went all the way with the switching. Well almost. I wonder why they did'nt offer both pickups in full humbucking mode?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Has "Ze (Gibson) Kolection" passed the "century" mark yet...? (yes, I'll count again...  ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »
Great Uwe! And I had the same idea as Dave: Less papers, more basses!

The sunburst on the fretless one's strange.

Nice review again!