Author Topic: Hey, I like it and I think it's art ...  (Read 356 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Hey, I like it and I think it's art ...
« on: April 28, 2023, 08:53:01 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/28/too-provocative-mermaid-statue-causes-stir-in-southern-italy

It always made me wonder even as a kid: How and from where do mermaids poo? This sculpture is maybe not the first one to offer biologically sensible clarification, but certainly a very vibrant attempt to do so, molto bellisima!

She's of course not the first mermaid sculpture with a butt, the The Little Mermaid/Den Lille Havfrue in Copenhagen has been watching the harbor for exactly 110 years now in all her tranquil grace.

If not always without criticism.  :mrgreen:

One (wo)man's art is obviously another (wo)man's scary-scaly Nordic Nazi statue.  ???

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 01:01:34 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, I like it and I think it's art ...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 12:20:07 PM »
Of course it's art. Not very realistic proportions and the sculptor must have been visualizing cantaloupes for the breasts. But it could be worse -- he could have made the top half fish and the bottom half woman.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 12:56:41 PM »
If a somewhat  buoyant remark is allowed here: One would imagine that the, uhum, cantaloupes might prove detrimental during full immersion naval maneuvers which mermaids, even not so little ones, are regularly required to do?

"But it could be worse -- he could have made the top half fish and the bottom half woman."

Alas!, which let's us scale the scintillating question, lieber Dave, strictly from your scen(t)ic view of course: Aren't all women mermaids of sorts to you?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »

Alas!, which let's us scale the scintillating question, lieber Dave, strictly from your scen(t)ic view of course: Aren't all women mermaids of sorts to you?

To most guys. Even of sorts to Frankie Ford, of all people. From rockabilly guy Mark Lee Allen (a/k/a G-Minus Mark). Takes about 2 minutes to get to the punch line.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 01:52:18 PM »
Another sign of our present easily provoced times. Naked art has been around for thousands of years and we need to be provoced just now? Only because it is a recent piece of art or what?  :o