Author Topic: Raquel ...  (Read 945 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Raquel ...
« on: February 15, 2023, 04:17:05 PM »
I you, like me, are a fan of scientific documentary nature flicks, you'll miss her. Precumhistoric life was never portrayed more vividly.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/feb/15/raquel-welch-dies-actor

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2023/feb/15/raquel-welch-a-life-in-pictures

Nor has chamois leather ever been put to better use.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:35:13 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Raquel ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 08:13:24 PM »
The poster up above was up on the walls of countless adolescent boys at one time.  Raquel was one of a kind.  May she rest in peace. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 04:34:24 AM »
She was an icon  :rimshot:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 06:08:18 AM »
Women had great hair one million years ago!

I never knew she was half-Latina though by her looks its unsurprising.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 06:26:06 AM »
Her forename should have been a clue, no?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »
What a beauty. She was funny too. Takes me back to being a kid in the 70s. RIP

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »
Her forename should have been a clue, no?

I didn't even know whether it was her real first name, with an actress you never know (Marilyn was Norma Jean, you know)! Raquel's real name was Jo Raquel Tejada which certainly sounds a lot more Hispanic than Raquel Welch. Think of Michael and Charlie 'Sheen' whose real name is Estevez and whose son/brother Emilio resumed the family name Estevez for his career, but only in the late 80ies.

If I thought anything than it was perhaps of "Raquel" as an attempt by some Hollywood agent to make "Rachel" sound less ethnic/Jewish which in the 60ies might have still been an issue in Hollywood (not that Raquel had any Jewish roots that I'm aware of). It's actually a name I very much like and had in mind for my daughter, but my blond wife at the time had concerns that Rachel would only work with someone dark-haired (valid point, but I had little doubt that my hair color genes would be victorious, we all know how blondes are regressive!  8) ) and that in southern Hesse where we live it would be pronounced "Rushell" and hardly anyone would get the "ch" sound right (the American pronunciation as a "j"-sound - as in jelly - doesn't correspond with the Hebrew one either), so Rachel became Teresa (and had/has dark hair ... I KNEW IT !!! EDIT: My later born son Leon is blond though, blond genes are sneaky and persistent!  ;D ).

Anyway, here's a really in depth and interesting article about Raquel the person - not the pin-up.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/raquel-welch-speaks-her-mind-240951/

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:32:42 AM »
By the accounts I have read, a decent and good person in addition to being a stunningly beautiful lady  I'm glad she found good things in her life.

And she really did a great job with that role in the Three Musketeers...that klutzy portrayal was a delight. 

I happen to be a big fan of the 1973 movie pair Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers.  What's not to like about a swashbuckler with Faye Dunaway, Raquel Welch, Michael York, Oliver Reed (one of my all time favorite actors), Richard Chamberlain, Chuck Heston and Christopher Lee???  That's my all-time favorite version of the story.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 12:56:47 PM »
(the American pronunciation as a "j"-sound - as in jelly - doesn't correspond with the Hebrew one either)

It's ra-KHEL in the original Rachel's tongue, if anyone is interested.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 05:25:01 AM »
Does the "kh" stand for the throaty "ch"-sound

that doesn't really have a counterpart in English, but does in German, albeit our "ch" as in "kochen" sounds a bit less throaty?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VcenGlZRh3Y

These days, Rachel is often pronounced Rachelle in German, i. e. that last syllable has received a French ring to it which it didn't use to have in German pronunciation, the "el" part in Rachel ended more abruptly.

Whatever the various pronunciations, Rachel has the benefit of working well in most languages (I like the English pronunciation of it too), quite unlike Uwe! In a globalized world, my parents did me a real disservice with that.  :mrgreen: It's something we actively considered when we named our children Teresa and Leon. And it was the right thing to do as they now live and work in Brussels and L.A. respectively and both have non-German significant others.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 06:16:06 AM by uwe »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
My first name is Morrow , and I inevitably am asked to spell it. And that’s actually my second name because it was used as my first. And with an old family hyphenated last name I’m used to name confusion.
Story of my life.
I’ll even respond to hey you…

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 12:32:12 PM »
I always end up as "der Hornung" in most social situations too. I'm fine with that, I was never really attached to my first name. And since my mom had three middle names which she always found cumbersome, I don't even have a middle name.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 01:38:28 PM »
I went to high school with two guys names Mitchell Freeman and Steve George. Both of them used to get mail with the names reversed on a regular basis.  New teachers sometimes didn't know whether their names were listed backwards or not.

But the level of poor spelling and outright ignorance out there is surprising.  I can't tell you how often I have had to spell my last name (Powell) because people think it has only one "L".  I have no idea where that comes from, as I have never met a Powell, Howell or Rowell whose last name is spelled with one L, and that family name has been round for more than 1000 years.

Reminds me of the Hollywood Henderson (bad) joke that Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell "cat" if he was spotted the "c" and the "a".  Unfortunately this is pretty true of a large swath of the American public.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:52:49 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 04:01:40 PM »
Holy cymbal, you're related with Cozy!

And Don, another percussionist!

Never in the world would I dare spell your and their name without a double-L! That's tantamount to spelling Ritchie without a "t".

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 04:14:08 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »
My first name is Morrow , and I inevitably am asked to spell it. And that’s actually my second name because it was used as my first. And with an old family hyphenated last name I’m used to name confusion.
Story of my life.
I’ll even respond to hey you…

Let's test this ....  :mrgreen:

Wouldn't "like tomorrow, but without the to" take care of most spelling requirements?