Author Topic: Dan McCafferty ...  (Read 367 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Dan McCafferty ...
« on: November 08, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
No more Razamanaz, pity. When back in the 70ies someone gave me a tape with that album, it seemed to me the rawest and wildest, yet still melodic music I had thus far heard.

I always loved his broken voice. And he wasn't just a screamer.

Joni Mitchell was a great sport when she announced her own This Flight Tonight at a London gig with "And now I'm gonna play a Nazareth song!"

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:05:28 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Dan McCafferty ...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:31:57 AM »
RIP Dan McCafferty.

A very distinctive voice is gone now.

In the Spanish Boots song he sounds a lot like fellow Scotsman Frankie Miller.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 05:12:22 AM »
Frankie Miller and Jess Roden were those two "singers' singers" in the mid-70ies that never really made it themselves, but were an inspiration to a lot of their cohorts.

Roger Glover on bass on that Dylan track, needless to say. Nazareth were extended DP family, lots of joint tours with Nazareth opening for DP, Ian Gillan admiring McCafferty's voice, Roger Glover producing the classic albums and hits, Jon Lord guesting on Rampant, Glover playing bass on McCafferty's solo debut, Ian Gillan Band and early Whitesnake opening for Nazareth on US and European tours and McCafferty's sucessor in Nazareth, Carl Sentance, singing in the Don Airey Band as well.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 01:31:15 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 11:39:10 AM »

Dan and the rest of Nazareth were probably at there very best (around the time Rampant was released) when I got to see them at The Parmount in Seattle, pete Agnew played an EB-3 through 3 Marshall stacks, Carleton was across stage with a Les Paul and similar, Darrel Sweet was the propellent on drums - then there Dan out front, he was the ignition switch. Still  ranks as one of the very best shows I ever saw. I think he was one of the very few that could give Noddy a run for his money, what a voice that man had!   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...