Author Topic: Is this saveable?  (Read 3587 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
Is this saveable?
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
I work at a special needs unit for autistic/ebd kids, where one of the activities I do is coaching rock and roll bands. I have a 3/4 scale samick bass that I use with the smaller kids. I recently let one of them borrow it and he left it sitting in the classroom, and when I got it back it was like this...
 This looks to me to be terminal, but I wanted advice as to whether its worth attempting a repair, and if so any tips ?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Is this saveable?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:45:48 AM »
 Looks repairable to me. I would clean the scarf joint, get as much Tite Bond II in there as I can and clamp it up. Let it cure for a few days and then your back in business. If you took this to a shop they would probably charge you around $100 bucks the bass isn't worth that. So if you can do the work yourself or get someone to do it for free I'd say try and fix it. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:34:13 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
I agree in all respects.  The key is to get a very clean joint with no stray splinters and maximum wood-to-wood contact.  Looks like that ought to be pretty easy to achieve.  Use wooden blocks/cauls as buffers on each side of the neck when you clamp it so you don't make dents with the clamp.  Titebond would be my choice because you have lots of working time with it and can make sure that you have the joint positioned correctly.  I'd try to keep the Titebond off the truss rod, but I doubt it would adhere to metal well enough to create any problems.

There are many people on this forum whose repair skills VASTLY exceed mine, but that repair looks simple enough that I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it.

And you might want to think about getting a better stand that would prevent re-occurrence.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
What Al and Scott said.  I've done a couple of these and they held up nicely.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:19:30 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Yep, as others have said, it's repairable. Scarf joint failure isn't that rare, with proper clamping it should be fine.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
 I am not sure of your location but if you can get it to me I'll be more than happy to fix it for you, no charge.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
Scott, he's in the UK.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
 Thats probably a bit far!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
That can be fixed easily as Scott said. Titebond wood glue and proper clamps.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »
Thanks guys, and especially big heartfelt thanks to godofthunder for your generous offer, even if there is an Atlantic ocean in the way  :toast:
I'm gonna give it a go,
Ive never had cause to mess with a truss rod before so any glaring do's and don'ts?
I am guessing that I have to loosen it up as at the moment it's pulling the peg head towards the body by the width  of the (missing) nut
should I count the number of turns I loosen it and tighten it up by that much again at the end? I guess my learning curve is gonna include how to set up a neck with the truss rod  :o

Also the fretboard has come away down to about the 4th fret, should I attempt to remove it, fix the neck then reglue it? or just do the whole thing in one go

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Anywhere near Surrey...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »
Anywhere near Surrey...?
mid sussex

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »
Not far... near Kingston if you get into trouble and same conditions as Scott, although certainly not to his level of craftsmanship...

Kenny
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 02:07:27 AM »
Not far... near Kingston if you get into trouble and same conditions as Scott, although certainly not to his level of craftsmanship...

Kenny

much appreciated Kenny, I'm game for having a go myself, but if i have no joy I'll take up your kind offer
Thanks
 Red

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
The shed is on standby ...

Good luck and don't forget to post the pics... ;)