Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Give us this day our daily conundrum...

(1/1)

gweimer:
Not having a steady gig really messes me up.   It's probably my own fault, since I don't have an amp at home right now (no room), and don't practice near as much as I should.  I rely on hitting local jam nights for me release.

The result of all this is simply that I don't have any idea how I want to sound.  Which bass should I favor?  Are my amp settings right?  Why am I buying more crap without having a goal?

When I was in the band last year, I had a direction.  This past week-end, I made the trek for one of those jams hosted by the FDP, where I can also be found handing out lies and innuendo.  I actually took my amp, only because I still had it in the truck from an audition earlier in the week (don't ask...).

I get up to play, and suddenly, it's all foreign to me.  I had the new bass, and it seemed to sound and feel pretty good.  I strapped on my faithful Epi Holy Crap bass, and suddenly, I was hit with - "What the heck is this?  Have I always sounded like this?  Is it me?  Am I just panicking?"  In the aftermath, videos were posted, and things were actually pretty good.  I was surprised and relieved.

Anyone else go through this in their downtime?

Oh...and did I mention that I've been trying different strings that I got from the Dude, and now my head is a complete mess on that subject, too.   Eeeesssshhhh...

Next up - what should I do with the Magnatone restoration?  It will never be original again...

Dave W:
Are you saying the Epi didn't sound as good to you on stage as the new bass?

gweimer:

--- Quote from: Dave W on January 19, 2008, 07:09:27 PM ---Are you saying the Epi didn't sound as good to you on stage as the new bass?

--- End quote ---

It sounded like an alien beast, roaring at me in the background.  The new bass was a temptress that I was leary of trusting.  Upon reviewing the videos that got posted, I realized that neither was true  Idle time messes with your perception.

PhilT:
I think all sorts of things just change with time and you have to go with whatever makes you feel comfortable in front of an audience/band at the time.

The first bass I bought had round wounds and I was happy with that till I found the Pit, and then the next bass I bought got TI flats  on it pretty quickly. Then all my basses had TIs for a while, till for some reason they started to feel wrong and I changed everything  to Roto Jazz flats. Now I've bought a Spector Rebop which came with rounds, and now that feels and sounds great and the other basses which have flats sound - well, not as good somehow. I don't understand why or how this happens, there's certainly no logic to it that I can work out. I just have to go with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version