Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Crazy

(1/6) > >>

westen44:
Willie Nelson wrote the song.  Patsy Cline immortalized it.  Linda Ronstadt's version was much less known, but still pretty good.  Supposedly, Willie Nelson once said "there are two types of men in the world:  those who had a crush on Linda Ronstadt and those who have never heard of her."  Whether he really said that or not, Barack Obama actually did admit he used to have a crush on her at the National Medal of Arts Award ceremony in 2014.

uwe:
I preferred Emmylou H, both looks- and voicewise!

Linda had more crossover appeal I guess, but there is something breathtaking ethereal about Emmylou.

And Charlie Dore!

I always thought of her as the Brit answer to Emmylou, both vocally and visually!  ;D

westen44:
I probably mentioned this already in an earlier thread.  But at the Linda Ronstadt concert I went to circa 1980, she actually addressed the Emmylou Harris issue.  Linda Ronstadt actually seemed to be pissed off that Emmylou Harris wasn't being recognized by the public enough.  Personally, I look at them as equals.  However, that "Heart Like a Wheel" album by Linda was a big plus in making her popular with the public.  Maybe Emmylou had albums just as good or better, but "Heart Like a Wheel" was quite a success.  Much more could be said, but I think this was a turning point for her. 

uwe:
Linda's music and image was just more commercial - and I don't mean that disparagingly. She was rock and pop as well.

When Emmylou did something commercial, she was kind of awkward doing it:

As someone rightfully remarked in the YouTube comments, the period mess up in the vid is a howler: It professes to be from 1946 - the boys are coming home - yet the original song only came out in 1954:

westen44:
Chuck Dauphin of Billboard wrote, "Nobody can deliver a song aching with sadness and loneliness quite like Emmylou Harris.  When she pours her heart and soul into a lyric, you are instantly grabbed emotionally..."

Personally, I would say it's the emotional factor which may be the biggest difference between Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris.  Certainly, I already felt that way even before reading the Billboard quote.  But I think it's true.  Still, though, I can't rate one as better than the other.  If I could have had a choice, I would have preferred seeing Emmylou in person rather than Linda, however.  But that's mostly because I think Emmylou puts more into her performances than Linda did.  I'm quite sure seeing Emmylou Harris in person would be a thrill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version