Author Topic: Another proud parent moment - a track  (Read 800 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Another proud parent moment - a track
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
My kids have been playing music together for a couple of years.
They formed a band together and now have a bassist and a 2nd guitarist.
I got my oldest into recording their rehearsals, and he's written a couple of dozen songs and has finally mixed down one of my favorites.  It's not mastered yet, but I thought I'd share it here.  My youngest (15) is on drums and they were recorded live as a scratch track. My oldest (20) does the singing and rhythm guitar and has the Celtic-inspired solo at 4:00. Guitars, vocals and bass were all recorded in isolation off the drum scratch track.

I would have been happy to have just purchased whatever they've needed to get here, but they involve me in everything, listen to suggestions/criticism and have really come together as a band.  They all like each other, which is paramount. 

It's an amazing feeling to have been a part of the process form the start - My wife and I get a huge kick out of hearing kids come and go, amps buzzing constantly (almost as loud as the electric meter on the side of the house). We also can't seem to keep enough food or drink in the house, but all that is a small price to pay when you know that this place has become a haven for kids trying to become musical or learn how to record.

Anyway, have a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/steveacker/the-light-final
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Another proud parent moment - a track
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
Rightly proud, Steve...

He's got one of those deceptively mature voices... can't place an age; somewhat like Jim Morrison... I never could place the voice to the face...

A touch of the Metallica's on this one...?

Tarhead - Black Wall
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 03:41:46 AM »
Thanks for that - he loves Jim Morrison, and I agree that you can detect some Hetfield, especially in Chris' trail-offs.

All of the "Black Wall" tracks are from another band that he sings in.
Black Wall  won a local contest and got 30 hours of studio time, so they put a few songs down.

He's been taking vocal lessons for about two years now - his coach has really helped him diversify while using what he's got for lungs.
Fun stuff.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
a tiny bit of philip anselmo at the beginning
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead