Author Topic: RIP Nelson Mandela  (Read 2433 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
RIP Nelson Mandela
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Today is a sad day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520

RIP Nelson Mandela

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Nelson Mandela
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
Indeed. A great, great man. Prior to the downfall of Apartheid (an imbecile system if there ever was one) I had given up South Africa as a nation. My thoughts were: "Those Boer cretins, they missed their chance of developing a black middle class by several decades to ease the power over to them and let the white minority survive still. Now this will all end in bloodshed, what a waste."

But it didn't (for all the problems South Africa had in its transitional phase and continues to have: Apartheid's shadow is long as regards an even remotely fair distribution of wealth for generations to come). Because of one man's ability to forgive and unify the country. During my first South Africa trip I paid my respects in Robben Island, that place needs forgiving.

And now they sing their national anthem (a mix of melodies of an Afrikaans hymn and a Black-African one) in five languages verse for verse.

Mandela's do.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
Not unexpected but still sad.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
He could certainly look back at a life achievement.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »
I've already read on Facebook that he was a murderer of women and children who liked to stockpile military hardware and hang out with dictators.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »
I've already read on Facebook that he was a murderer of women and children who liked to stockpile military hardware and hang out with dictators.

That brings to mind the phrase "The Big Lie".  It's the one people seem to accept most easily.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
There's no doubt Mandela was a radical at one time. People do change, and he certainly did. He's revered for what he accomplished later. He was a militant revolutionary when he went into prison. When he came out, he was a pacifist.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »
Mandela came out of prison putting his hate behind him, realizing that it was the only way to move forward.  They've been talking about his decision to treat whites better than the whites had treated blacks historically in South Africa, and how he overcame the barriers of apartheid.  I remember personally some of the obstacles he faced when he was first elected.  I know that he faced some opposition for his decision to include whites in his original cabinet.   There were a lot of supporters that didn't expect him to be so open and fair after 27 years in prison.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
There's no doubt Mandela was a radical at one time. People do change, and he certainly did. He's revered for what he accomplished later. He was a militant revolutionary when he went into prison. When he came out, he was a pacifist.

Dave!!!!  :o ??? :o ??? A militant revolutionary and radical against an obscene and vile  system that wanted to base a person's ultimate place in society (and that of his/her children and grandchildren) on issues of pigmentation and violated every human right in the book to cement this travesty for decades or even centuries.

In that case I'm a militant revolutionary and radical too. So was George Washington, except that he wasn't bothered about where his pigmentation might put him, but just a tax dodger.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
Dave!!!!  :o ??? :o ??? A militant revolutionary and radical against an obscene and vile  system that wanted to base a person's ultimate place in society (and that of his/her children and grandchildren) on issues of pigmentation and violated every human right in the book to cement this travesty for decades or even centuries.

In that case I'm a militant revolutionary and radical too. So was George Washington, except that he wasn't bothered about where his pigmentation might put him, but just a tax dodger.

It wasn't intended as criticism, just stating a fact some people may not have known.

As Aussie Mark has said, there are posts circulating on Facebook about his past that concentrate on his militant activities, and not in a flattering light. I'm pointing out that whatever happened earlier, he came out of prison a man of peace.