Author Topic: CONUS Shipping recommendation?  (Read 2397 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
CONUS Shipping recommendation?
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
Maybe someone here can enlighten me...

It just cost me $70 at UPS to ship a bass in its case (inside a standard bass box) from NC to CO.
Three weeks ago, I shipped a similar box with a bass & case for $46 to AL.
Both shipments were UPS.  I'm being told that there are Holiday surcharges and that during the Holiday season, UPS does not guarantee delivery dates.
I only ship 3-5 basses a year (almost always UPS), and the most I've ever paid was $48 for a T-40 that was delivered in 3 days.

I go up to eBay, and I see folks shipping their basses for $29-$50 CONUS - I know that some folks eat some of the shipping costs, but I'd like to know if anyone here has any recommendations on a different carrier to use during the "Holiday Season".

Thanks,
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: CONUS Shipping recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
Have you tried the Post Office?  A standard box, sent via parcel post, should be less than UPS.  Also, if you are using UPS, I would ship from one of their distribution centers and not a UPS Store.  I think the rates are higher at the store.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
I used to use UPS quite a bit, but when I started shipping more stuff International I had no choice but to move over to USPS (or pay through the nose...). 

I've had good experiences with USPS, and the couple of basses I shipped off this year (both with hard cases) ran about $50/ea - via standard post with insurance and signature confirmation.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Thanks guys - ironically enough, I just overheard a commercial for USPS, claiming a re-vamped package shipping & tracking system.
I stopped using them years ago because I like to track the goods, and their system sucked.

I'll give them a try next week.

Thx
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
Just shipped a bass to Italy, 26 lbs in a case inside a box sized 51x17x7.  Cost me $105 via USPS.  USPS doesn't provide enough insurance coverage so I use Shipsurance.

My USA shipping costs less by UPS because my local 'UPS store' beats the rates charged by the actual UPS facility and beats USPS also.  Florida to NY for under $35 for that same size and weight box.

Those standard bass boxes are way too big, they are charging you DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT, not the actual weight.  The smaller the box the less the cost.  That's one of the reasons I include a case with my basses.  I buy the cases from ZZounds for $79 shipped, they must get a ridiculous discount from UPS.  Includes 2 boxes.  One fits the case very tightly, the other is an oversize bass box.  I discard the "bass box", stick some of that cardboard strategically in the case box and save enough on shipping to pay for the case vs the extra time to safely pack an uncased bass and the cost of a "bass box" that I would have to cut down to ship only the bass for a reasonable price.  I figure $50 for US shipping as my cost, it evens out.  Next one goes to California.

Over 50 shipped, 1 damaged.

Anyway, both UPS and USPS provide rate quotes online.  Tracking is still much better with UPS.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
rondo music ships most of their basses for 20 bucks. they ship in solid boxes that sometimes include a padded case with the deal. USPS i assume.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 09:19:50 AM »
For domestic shipping I've found that FedEx Ground is usually least expensive.  I checked rates on shipping my Casady bass to Albuquerque and it's around $22.  Granted, they're only about 600 miles away from me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »

Those standard bass boxes are way too big, they are charging you DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT, not the actual weight.  The smaller the box the less the cost.  That's one of the reasons I include a case with my basses.  I buy the cases from ZZounds for $79 shipped, they must get a ridiculous discount from UPS.  Includes 2 boxes.  One fits the case very tightly, the other is an oversize bass box.  I discard the "bass box", stick some of that cardboard strategically in the case box and save enough on shipping to pay for the case vs the extra time to safely pack an uncased bass and the cost of a "bass box" that I would have to cut down to ship only the bass for a reasonable price.  I figure $50 for US shipping as my cost, it evens out.  Next one goes to California.

^^^ This.

I bought a guitar case that retails for $90 at MF and elsewhere, for $55 new, shipped (from Connecticut). It came in the manufacturer's box - sturdy and with no wasted space. The seller is getting rid of overstock and may be getting a volume discount from UPS, but I'm sure she's paying for actual weight and not dimensional weight.

This is the way to go. Of course, the box has to be able to take the usual abuse.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
^^^ This.

I bought a guitar case that retails for $90 at MF and elsewhere, for $55 new, shipped (from Connecticut). It came in the manufacturer's box - sturdy and with no wasted space. The seller is getting rid of overstock and may be getting a volume discount from UPS, but I'm sure she's paying for actual weight and not dimensional weight.

This is the way to go. Of course, the box has to be able to take the usual abuse.

I'm certain Rondo and especially MF and GC get a big freight discount.  Very common in shipping.

I started drop shipping furniture for a number of retailers in the late 80's via UPS.  I also designed all the packaging for the RTA stuff I manufactured in China that ended up being shipped UPS when it got to the US.  Best way to approach a package is to assume it will be dropped on its most vulnerable spot, more than once.  The case boxes I get are just big enough to shoehorn an extra 1/2" thickness of cardboard sheet on each short end.  Gives a 3/4" crush zone plus the actual case for bass protection.   I also stuff some additional polyfoam sheet between both ends of the bass and the case.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »
I work for a huge multinational outfit.  UPS runs our parts warehouse - the size of a small city evidently.  UPS, naturally, handles all of our routine replenishment shipping as well - we pay a small set price per box without any regard to weight.  It stands to reason that companies shipping thousands of pieces daily would have a similar arrangement in place.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
It also makes a difference where you're shipping to and from.  Ship from a business address to another business address and it's usually less expensive, at least with UPS.

I have a FedEx office and USPS within three miles, but to get to a UPS location for me it's a 20 or 30-minute drive each way.  The "UPS Stores" are contractors who mark up each shipment a LOT, so I avoid them unless I'm very pressed to get something shipped and it's not a large package. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
 The "UPS Stores" are contractors who mark up each shipment a LOT, so I avoid them unless I'm very pressed to get something shipped and it's not a large package. 

Generally, yes.  But my guy who is 5 minutes away doesn't.  He uses UPS as a loss leader to attract customers and his rates are always less than the UPS site calculator.  It's not an actual UPS store.  Sells stationery, prints, copies and whatever else he can make a buck on. The closest UPS and Fed Ex to me are 30 miles away.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
Handy!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »
Handy!

One of the few things that is aroundhere.  No craft breweries...but I did have some primo moonshine on Thanksgiving!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »
same here. moonshine that is.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead