Author Topic: Pawn Shop encounter  (Read 3142 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Pawn Shop encounter
« on: September 20, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »
I was driving from one job to the next this morning and I passed a Pawn Shop 20 miles south of Raleigh. I've been here a few times before, and I remember that they had about 20 old basses and guitars hanging really high up on the wall - they are not for sale. I had about 10 minutes to kill - I walked in there just to look around. after a minute, an elderly gentleman saw me eyeing this old Vox Bass and he starts talking to me about vintage stuff.

Turns out this guy is Larry Bailey, a supremely talented jazz, blues, country guitarist and musician. I had no idea who he was. Turns out that he was very good friends with Chet Atkins and has worked with some of the greats, including Jerry Lee Lewis, Jim Reeves, Pearl Bailey and recently was asked to open a few shows for Tommy Emmanuel. After chatting for a few minutes, he goes to the safe in the back and gets out his baby - a 1952 Telecaster - a REAL 1952 Telecaster.  It was an amazing piece of equipment that certainly looked 60+ years old. Although a few parts have had to be swapped (output jack, bridge tray, saddles and the neck pickup (which now a vintage Les Paul humbucker), it still has the same body, pots, switch & neck. The luthier who did some repairs, embedded a 1952 dime into the body. I can tell he was extremely proud of this guitar and the stories behind his history were as clear to him as if they happened yesterday.  His eyes lit up when he told me about being on stage with Pearl Bailey and doing a few skits with her.

He also told me a great story about how Chet Atkins called Les Paul and told him only to pack a bag and fly to Nashville to meet him there. Les Paul didn't ask any questions and arrived at Nashville and stayed the night with Chet.  The next day, they fly to LA, where Chet leads Les Paul through the door and behind a stage curtain and tells him to stay there. Chet Atkins goes through the curtains to an enormous applause and begins to speak to the audience, who are mostly musicians. The curtain opens and Les Paul is led on stage for a birthday celebration - If I understand the story correctly, it's the first of an annual birthday celebration that still continues in NYC/Mahwah, NJ to this day... Who's in LA for this party?  The Beatles, Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen and most notables from the NYC & Nashville music scenes.  Larry Bailey tells me that Chet Atkins asked if anyone had a harmonica, and McCartney whips his out and blows a C - everyone sing Happy Birthday and the party starts. At some point of this party, Les Paul blows EVH's doors off after EVH start fingerboarding.  Les Paul replicates his work then proceeds to one-hand it.  What a celebration that must've been.

To my surprise (I should have been back on the road 20 minutes ago) Larry plugs his beloved '52 into some crapola amp and for the next 45 minutes plays an amazing array of music that blows me away. His abilities and to be at arm's length to such mastery is pretty mind numbing.  Anyway, after 45 minutes or so, I had to excuse myself and apologize - I really could have stayed there all day and listened to him tell me stories and play tunes associated with those stories.

My oldest son is taking a Music History course in college, so I'm going to see if I can get him over there to meet Mr. Bailey and get an interview.  More people need to know about his talents and acquaintances, and I'll bet he'd be able to fill volumes with his tales.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Pawn Shop encounter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
That sounds like a great way to spend the morning  8)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
Nice story!  You had me worried at "old Vox bass".   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »
Great story!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
What a beautiful story...

Next time you go get him to let you take a picture if he'll allow it, with Jr.

I couldn't help myself... this song came straight to mind... I've always been one to listen to peoples stories with great interest, especially veterans, whether music or military... we used to regularly get Country's Family Reunion on one of the sat channels which Jackie always enjoyed watching...

The song is perfectly apt...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
I found this little clip of Larry:

He's just the sweetest man...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
I can't decide whether he sounds more like Chet or Les....lots of interesting styles in there, and nicely played.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
I can't decide whether he sounds more like Chet or Les....lots of interesting styles in there, and nicely played.

Based on this clip, he's more influenced by Merle Travis.

Nice pickin'!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
Cool story! What's better to find in a pawn shop? An old bass or a guy with such stories??

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
The stories...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
The stories...

...couldn't agree more